New 20G Tank with rescues & anemone. Helppp

Chris 20G

Hey everybody!

I’ve been reading information from this forum for a while, but felt I needed to make an account and ask for help after what happened today. A friend of mine bought an anemone and a couple clowns not knowing anything about them, and only had a 10G tank that he didn’t take great care of.

I’ve had a new 20G tank cycling for a few weeks with a couple damsels pooping the place up before I decided what I wanted to do with the tank long term, and he asked if I could take the clowns and anemone so he could get rid of his tank. I was iffy about it, but I figure they’ll have a chance in my tank, so I took them. The anemone is already looking better than it was in its previous home (I just brought it home about an hour ago), and it’s eating frozen food which it wouldn’t do in the old tank, but I’m worried it’s too stressed. I’m also worried that my damsel fish is a jerk and is bullying the clowns.

I’ve attached an image of the anemone with an almost-eaten half a food cube. Anybody have thoughts or recommendations on what steps I should take to help everybody get acclimated, calm and comfortable?

Attachments

• 1519B5A9-9925-4891-BDE4-8E2EB690E46B.jpeg
    1519B5A9-9925-4891-BDE4-8E2EB690E46B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

DaveK

This isn't going to be the advice you want to hear. Anemones require a very stable tank with excellent quality water, and excellent lighting. You tank is far to new to be stable. Your best course of action here is to return the anemone to your LFS. Maybe after a year or so you could consider one.

As a note, your anemone seems to be a condy anemone (Condylactis gigantea). Clowns do not usually host in them.

If your still going to try and keep it, for now, leave it alone as much as possible, and don't worry about feeding it for at least 2 or 3 weeks and feed only when it's fully extended. They require very little food.

As for the damsels, it they get along with the clowns then ok. If not, then you will most likely need to choose the clowns or the damsels, and sell, give away, or trade the species you don't want.

Chris 20G

Unfortunately, I knew I wouldn’t get advice or responses that encouraged taking on these creatures.

Thank you for your input! I’ve already isolated the aggressive damsel from the tank, and everything else seems peppy and comfortable now. Huge update, the anemone is already reenflated and full of personality after a few hours of peace! Picture attached.

I know there’s a lot of risk and very little margin for this guy to survive in such a new and small tank, but I’m hoping it pulls through and remains a part of the system for a while.

Attachments

• 313B2F7D-19FF-4A01-980C-F825EEE0E8C2.jpeg
    313B2F7D-19FF-4A01-980C-F825EEE0E8C2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7