Need your help guys... Please

Setragni

Hello,
After a while away from the forums I once again need advice from the more experienced reefers around here...
Here is the deal, I decided to setup a new tank and after a few days of cycle I decided to turn on the skimmer... It went crazy and produced a soap like foam, with a weird smell that resembles the smell of detergent... Well, I am trying to figure out where this is coming from and maybe you can help me, this is what I did so far.

-Setup a starboard bottom, used DAP 2.8 aquarium safe silicone to attach it to the bottom and avoid dirt under it, I let it cure for around 48 hours before I filled the tank
-I also used a bottle of IO Bio Spira the same day I turned the skimmer on
-I installed two filter socks 4 days before turning on the skimmer(I did not rinse them, which could explain the foam but not the smell)
-I used dry rock glued with 2 part reef safe epoxy (I let it cure for 3 days before adding to the tank)
-I am using a clear vinyl hose for my return line (I thought this was worth mentioning, maybe it is not reef safe?)

*Right now I am running a carbon reactor and a bag of Chemi pure Elite. The skimmer cup is filling with a milky clear water with that smell, but the water does not look milky in the DT.

Ok now... I confess I should have waited longer for the silicone on the starboard to cure, and that is my primary suspect.... What happens if the silicon was not fully cured and leaked, am I doomed?

I am open to any suggestion

Thanks Guys!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well i don't think the components you added would be the problem........do you know where the live rock came from?

If i were you, i would just let it run for a bit with the skimmer on the wet side and see if it level out. The only other thing you could do is get a poly filter to see if it changes color on you.

Setragni

Well i don't think the components you added would be the problem........do you know where the live rock came from?

If i were you, i would just let it run for a bit with the skimmer on the wet side and see if it level out. The only other thing you could do is get a poly filter to see if it changes color on you.

Thanks PSU4ME,
Could you please post a link to this Poly Filter? What do you mean by change color? What does it test for?
Thanks

Setragni

Thanks...
So the uncured silicone in the water is not a problem??? it is not toxic?

Last edited:

Setragni

***UPDATE***
The smell is weak now, and it is getting better day by day... but I am afraid that whatever it is, already contaminated the tank forever... Any ideas?

I also noticed a white paste building up inside the return vinyl hose... it is not bacterial, I managed to scrape some of it out and it looks like white epoxy... but with no smell...

Choff

Silicone is fine unless the silicone was bad. Was it hard to the touch? Bad silicone doesn't cure and just looks like paste. This usually happens if it's past its expiration date or exposed to extreme temps.

...stupid auto correct

DaveK

-I installed two filter socks 4 days before turning on the skimmer(I did not rinse them, which could explain the foam but not the smell)

Thatg is most likely the source of your problem. They are often washed in various stuff and should be prewashed.

If this were my tank, since it's not really running yet, I'd do a 100% water change to make sure I got everything out.

Setragni

PSU4ME -I am going to post a picture of the hose and the paste like residue tonight.

Choff - The Silicone was very rigid, I don't think the silicon is the cause anymore, I squeezed some silicone in a container with salt water and waited 2 days... It didn't smell at all...

DaveK - Maybe it is the socks, I gave them a vinegar and RODI water bath yesterday. Do you think it is worth doing that 100% water change just for the socks residue? It should be reef safe... Even if I do the water change I have to find out what is causing it first, otherwise I will loose another bag of ESV salt, they are not cheap =/

BTW Just to be sure I swapped the nylon hose for one of those Eshops Flex hose.

Choff

Agreed, not the silicone. I had a bad tube that didn't cure. You would know it.

I will say the 2 part epoxy was surely the cause of your skimmer going nuts. 3 days out of water is still going to impact the skimmer.

Can't explain the smell though or the white paste.

DaveK

DaveK - Maybe it is the socks, I gave them a vinegar and RODI water bath yesterday. Do you think it is worth doing that 100% water change just for the socks residue? It should be reef safe... ....

Yep, the whole point is you don't know what that stuff was. It may or nay not be reef safe. All it takes is the loss of a couple of fish or corals to more than pay for the cost of the salt.

This is one area where you don't want to take any chances. Plus, you have a new tank, so it's easy to correct now, compared to later sfter you add livestock. It will also give you peace of mind, knowing the problem was corrected. Otherwise, for each problem you have, you'll be thinking "could this pe dure to that foaming I had in the system when it was new?"

Setragni

Otherwise, for each problem you have, you'll be thinking "could this pe dure to that foaming I had in the system when it was new?"

Very good point there!
I am pretty sure that was coming from the nylon hose, the smell is pretty much gone now...I have to find out if this stuff was toxic, and if my silicon absorbed anything...

Here is how the hose looked like, note that it is supposed to be clear...

And the paste became a very fine powder after it dried out...

In a couple of days I am going to check the inside of the new tubing, to see if that paste is building up again...
What do you think?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well that is something and odds are it was some type if a reaction from something on a piece of equipment. Since its all washed around now and whatever is done is done, the best you can do now is filter or change the water. Then the big test will be the first livestock!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Residue is possible on everything so it's certainly possible. I try to soak or wash everything in RO when possible