Need some ideas and motivation

saintsreturn

Things have been going pretty good this year with my system and I am running low on issues with the display. But I keep nagging myself out the complete setup. Here are some thoughts and I wanted to see what you think.
1) auto top off container switched over to an actual reservoir. I make my own RODI water and use the standard F style jugs. I just pull out the empty and drop in the new. Problem is it eats up a lot of space and I am constantly sliding it past the power center. I am nervous to buy a container that stays as I don't know how I will get the angle to pour in new water.
2) wire tucking. Man I hate how it looks and how much I have to move wires around.
3) sump vs refugium. I built mine and now I hate it. But I cannot remove it without taking off my display or cutting into the stand. I am thinking about cutting out the refugium divider and having a better layout for my equipment. Plus no light means I should stop getting that nasty build up on the glass which I believe is putting slime into my display.
3) the battery backup just sits around and I stack my tools on top of the tank. I am debating building a box/tool holder that will sit by the tank and hide the back up.
4) power board. I got some ideas from a thread I have been reading about an amazing system. I am thinking about putting a control center in above the RO or in the new stand for the switches, float display and vortech controller.
5) recoating the stand to cover all the salt creep, knowing it will come back later.

All right team, what are your thoughts. PS I live in a town home and may be moving in the next year. So nothing permanent off of the system.
0aaea74647af973b4aedeeefd6f05a52.jpg
71e4211c21aa13628b667d23178426d2.jpg
deec2dce5f5d86d464faf36d24bd6b8f.jpg
df675a6c7410e272c6362899a02cf178.jpg
5c6305cf362dc4763d6b15d81e1e3da0.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DaveK

... PS I live in a town home and may be moving in the next year. So nothing permanent off of the system. ...

That about sums it up. I wouldn't do too much of anything at this time as far as the basic system goes. This is a good time to plan what your going to do when you move, and are going to need to rear it all down anyway.

On the individual subjects -

I would locate the ATO container outside the tank, someplace else. You can then use something much larger. In tank containers need constant refilling and are a pain to deal with.

Fixing up the wiring is simple. A visit to Lowes or Home Depot or similar store to get some nylon cable ties, some stick on cable holders, and some velceo will get you all you need to organize all your cables. Do it one at a time, and things will look great.

You learned a couple of valuable lessons with the sump. You are always going to want to change it, and you never want to build it into the stand so you can't remove it. Imagine what a mess you'd have if it had a major leak and needed repair. I would build a new sump and build it in such a way that it can be altered or removed. Then when you move, you install the sump. If you don't move, install it when you can take the tank down.

As a note, I prefer to have the tank a couple of feet from the wall and put the sump behind the tank. Too many people seem to feel "everything must fit in the stand". This doesn't need to be the case.

You could build something for your UPS but you might be better off planning the project to hold such things as your sump, ATO container, power center, and so on.

If your stand has been finished correctly, you should be able to wipe off salt creep with a towel and clean water. However, often stands are not finished on the inside or in other areas prone to salt creep. To fix this, you'd need to remove the stand, apply 2 or 3 coats of finish inside and out, and reinstall it. Another project best left to your move or when you need to tear down the tank.

As you can see, major changes to an established system are a lot of work. Often your better off living with the issues, at least until you want to move or upgrade the tank itself.

My own tank has been torn down two times since it was set up. They were both due to long power failures that wiped out all the livestock. Each time I rebuild it better, but even so I can still think of some improvements that I'd make if I could do it again.

cracker

hello Saint ! 1st .off the tank looks real nice. it'a a 75 right? I have a dry dog food container I got at Pet smart. It's tall & rectangular in shape. They had several differing sizes. The one I got holds 7 gls & lasts 9, 11 days before refill. the whole top comes off so it's easy to dump a gal jug of water in it. hold on let me get some measurements . Ok it's roughly 17 by 10 by 17. It may fit in the room You have. Sorry about the other questions. Would need to see it. Sorry for the tardy response, We're still here !

saintsreturn

hello Saint ! 1st .off the tank looks real nice. it'a a 75 right? I have a dry dog food container I got at Pet smart. It's tall & rectangular in shape. They had several differing sizes. The one I got holds 7 gls & lasts 9, 11 days before refill. the whole top comes off so it's easy to dump a gal jug of water in it. hold on let me get some measurements . Ok it's roughly 17 by 10 by 17. It may fit in the room You have. Sorry about the other questions. Would need to see it. Sorry for the tardy response, We're still here !
Good to "see" you again bud and thank you for the input. I will have to check that out. Hope you are doing great!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk