HELP! Need opinions

Coraljunkie

My display has been fallow for almost 11 weeks. I was planning on keeping it fallow for 14 weeks but the tank is in desperate need of some nutrients. I had a bad outbreak of ich or velvet and I'm wondering if you think it'll be safe to add my female clownfish into the display?

DaveK

You can expect the SW ich to be gone in about 12 weeks, but velvet can last a lot longer. More than likely you have SW ich. Velvet look a lot different, and really moves fast.

Oxylebius

My display has been fallow for almost 11 weeks. I was planning on keeping it fallow for 14 weeks but the tank is in desperate need of some nutrients.

I don't understand this part of your post. What do you mean that the tank is in desperate need of some nutrients. You can do water changes and feed your corals during the time that tank is fallow of fish. These water changes help the tank maintain all elements needed to keep corals alive. Are you worried about your bacteria population?

If you haven't been doing water changes or feeding your corals, you can start to do so for a couple weeks prior to adding your fish. You can use filter feeder products that you release in the water column to add additional food sources to build up the bacteria in the tank prior to adding fish. Little amounts every three days won't cause mini-cycles. If you add to much you may cause mini-cycles.

Coraljunkie

I do the water changes and feed the cleanup crew but imo I don't think it's the same as having fish in the tank. I know it's not scientific and probably just a crazy persons opinion but I feel that the coral and inverts get something from the fish that the food doesn't provide.

Oxylebius

:ponder2: hum...we are all crazy to some extent o_O

The ammonia from fish keeps the bacteria fed. Fish pop can also feed cuc and detritivores. But, fish pop is just food that has been 'processed' through the fish's digestive system. So, the food comes out with a little less nutrients then when the fish ate it. So, if you are already feeding cuc and corals, I think there is nothing to worry about here.

Since it has been fallow for so long, I'd keep going for the full 14 weeks. Only a little more time to go and since you've waited so long, you wouldn't want to add fish and then have a break out occur and have to start from the beginning, all over again.

Coraljunkie

After I put my fish into the display and worse case scenario the ich or velvet is not gone, how long will it take for my fish to show signs of parasite?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
on ich... I believe the answer is they would appear in 1-2 days & you would see them grow for 3-7 days the parasitic stage (Trophonts) when we see the little white dots on our fish -

but see what others think...

ichcyclegraph_zps3445fa4e.jpg