need once again your help !

hma

Hi Boomer, greetings from Klaus. Was just able to talk to him. He told me that his English is not sufficient to write directly to you. No problem at all, I take over the role of the interpreter.

Klaus said the following about the origin of the Blenny. "I only have two photos of the Blenny. I caught him up in a small tide-pool of the Reef directly in Hurghada / Red Sea. He is several times over the wet stone slid into other tide-pool's , but only in the trapping attempt. Otherwise he has not left the tide pool , also not the aquarium, he never tried to leave the water. He never has changed his color when I attempted to capture him. Was brought to food of any kind very quickly and he nibbled at the stones. Damaged neither corals or yet he had problems with other fish or even with other bennies!"

So this is Klaus statement so far. The images I will upload to my site in order to provide the original size and best quality.

Blenny%20sp.,%20Rotes%20Meer%201-a.jpg

Blenny%20sp.,%20Rotes%20Meer%201-b.JPG

Blenny%20sp.,%20Rotes%20Meer%201-c.JPG

Frankie

RS STAFF
Im really struggling with this one. I am sure it is in the "comb-tooth" group classification because of the cirri on the margins of the anterior nostrils.
I am starting to think this is a female because of the coloring and most pictures and descriptions you will find are of males. Females are only shown when compared to the male version. If this is the case it will be very difficult to ID due to the fact that most male and females are very different is size shape and color. Most of the time anyhow.
Im not giving up though Heinz. Just wondering if I will be able to beat boomer to the punch ;)
So far I have read about 200 out of 345 known species. Still searching for the other half.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Frank

The worlds leading expert on the ID of these fish, Dr. Victor Springer, Senior Scientist Emeritus, National Museum of Natural History Smithsonian Institution, Vertebrate Zoology Division of Fishes, can not ID it ;) Victor thinks it is a new species of the Istiblennius (Rockskipper) and is why I asked Heinz for more info. So, Victor could get more of a handle on it, as to where it was caught and the conditions. See post #17 ;)

Victor Springer
Vic Springer, Division of Fishes, Department of Vertebrate Zoology, NMNH

Frankie

RS STAFF
Frank

The worlds leading expert on the ID of these fish, Dr. Victor Springer, Senior Scientist Emeritus, National Museum of Natural History Smithsonian Institution, Vertebrate Zoology Division of Fishes, can not ID it ;) Victor thinks it is a new species of the Istiblennius (Rockskipper) and is why I asked Heinz for more info. So, Victor could get more of a handle on it, as to where it was caught and the conditions. See post #17 ;)

Victor Springer
Vic Springer, Division of Fishes, Department of Vertebrate Zoology, NMNH

That guy looks just like a customer of mine, LOL!
I was not in doubt about your thinking on it being a Rockskipper and was my main focus after you mentioned it. Actually it makes sense because of the location Heinz' friend found it.
After reading about all those fish I also started to question weather the internet information is correct on a lot of the fish I was reading about.
Most of it was data base info made by a guy called Randall? I am not familiar with him.
From your post though it sounds like I never will find it.
Great link boomer. I did not think to look on the Smithsonian Institution website.
There is a goby that looks similar in pattern and color btw but this fish is not a goby.
I know this is off topic but I thought you would like these pictures of rock anemones I took the other day for you. I know you like them :)
blackberrypics019.jpg

These were completely out of the water and hanging durning low tide. I was not aware they could sustain long-term air contact.
blackberrypics022.jpg

mbdave

Wow first one I could not find, maybe a hybrid? I would try contacting Scott Michael and see if he can ID it and "no" I do not know his email. Maybe contacting a University that teaches Marine Biology??

Boomer

I was think'in of giving Scott a call but he is hardly ever at home and slow at answering e-mail.

However, we finally have a positive ID on this fish. It turns out that the revision of this fish was done by Springer, V.G. and J.T. Williams in 1994. This fish scientific name is Istiblennius rivulatus (Rüppell, 1830) a common Rockskipper to that location of the Red Sea.

Frank

Randall? I am not familiar with him

WOW, you are not ? He is a fish God like Scott but in the scientific world. Jack (John) Randall has written more on fish than you can shake a stick at :) If it was not for Jack there would be no FishData Base. He has like ~700 publications and is the worlds leading expert on coral reef fish systematics/taxonomy. He is one of Scott's and Tony Vargas best friends.

Do you live in a cave old buddy :D

John E. Randall - Microcosm Aquarium Explorer

Amazon.com: Randall fish: Books

Frankie

RS STAFF
I was think'in of giving Scott a call but he is hardly ever at home and slow at answering e-mail.

However, we finally have a positive ID on this fish. It turns out that the revision of this fish was done by Springer, V.G. and J.T. Williams in 1994. This fish scientific name is Istiblennius rivulatus (Rüppell, 1830) a common Rockskipper to that location of the Red Sea.

Frank

Randall? I am not familiar with him

WOW, you are not ? He is a fish God like Scott but in the scientific world. Jack (John) Randall has written more on fish than you can shake a stick at :) If it was not for Jack there would be no FishData Base. He has like ~700 publications and is the worlds leading expert on coral reef fish systematics/taxonomy. He is one of Scott's and Tony Vargas best friends.

Do you live in a cave old buddy :D

John E. Randall - Microcosm Aquarium Explorer

Amazon.com: Randall fish: Books
donk :smack: Forgive me. I have been banging in walnut flooring for the past 2 weeks and tired. Actually I have two of his books. Just didn't put the two together from my google search.

Boomer

Frank

That is the same pic I looked at when Heinz first posted, among others but said no it can't be, as the strips are vert and not hor and no big white band right under the eyes and above the eyes So, I gave up :lol: And I still give up. I see no resemblance.

Nice Rocks

Walnut flooring ?? That must cost 3 arms and an leg :)

hma

Hi Buddies,

of course befor I asked here on RS I have searched all available sources, including fishbase. As even IFM GEOMAR, one of the most renowned institutions in Germany could not help, I also in all my books on fish identification (and I'm really have as good as any recent) could find no suitable fish I'm asking for support. Boomer was so friendly and has passed my question to the "right places" and exactly that was my intention ;) .

So, once again many thanks Boomer, This task was in the best possible hands. ;)

Last edited:

Boomer

You're welcome Heniz :)

But me I'm still not happy that the expert said what it was. I see no real resemblance that makes that species the same as the one you posted .

Frankie

RS STAFF
Frank

That is the same pic I looked at when Heinz first posted, among others but said no it can't be, as the strips are vert and not hor and no big white band right under the eyes and above the eyes So, I gave up :lol: And I still give up. I see no resemblance.

Nice Rocks

Walnut flooring ?? That must cost 3 arms and an leg :)
I too questioned it when I saw the picture. NOt only that but I am pretty sure the location does not add up either.
For some reason I cannot get the link I provided to open up now? Anyone else?
Yeah, $5 and change a SF these days. Wood flooring is my trade. The walnut is brazilian walnut (ipe)and worse for releasing toxins when cutting and sanding then most that I deal with. Slows me down sometimes :( :drunk:

hma

Hi buddies,

perhaps I should briefly describe my impressions on this ID! I think the ID, at least concerning the assignment to the species, is correct. There are no really good pictures of this kind so far, all images I could find are from Randall and only good to count the spines of the fin's LoL. Colors and patterns are as difficult to see on these pics. The animals are, at least I have the impression, all dead, but dead fish show little or no colors. A real ID, at least with these pictures is impossible.

I trust the experts here first. Perhaps there will later another ID, but until then I will apply the first-called ;)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hi buddies,

perhaps I should briefly describe my impressions on this ID! I think the ID, at least concerning the assignment to the species, is correct. There are no really good pictures of this kind so far, all images I could find are from Randall and only good to count the spines of the fin's LoL. Colors and patterns are as difficult to see on these pics. The animals are, at least I have the impression, all dead, but dead fish show little or no colors. A real ID, at least with these pictures is impossible.

I trust the experts here first. Perhaps there will later another ID, but until then I will apply the first-called ;)

I fully agree with you Heinz. Being dead will change the appearance for sure.
Also this could just be what I said above about male and female appearances.
After reading up on Springer from the link Boomer supplied I was not about to say anything else on it. I am sure I am missing something he sees.