Need Birdsnest advice!!

Ratpack

I have a small colony of Birdsnest. It is growing great, but it has gotten dense in the top and I noticed the base is now completely white and not encrusting. My fear is as it continues to get top heavy without the base encrusting, it will break away from where it is mounted. Should I go ahead and frag it and start over with one of the frags? I have turned it some to allow more light to the base, but I believe it may be too late.

Putt

Not good, I had one that looked identical to yours, I did nothing and it was a total lost in about 3 or 4 days. i don't think it's from dense growth. I hope I'm wrong, maybe better advice coming shortly from someone with more knowledge.

LNP

reefguy

This is not because it is to dense. There is something that is wrong with your water, light, or a parasite. Hard to tell without more info. Polyps are not extended like they should from what I can tell from the picture which is also an indication that something is wrong. I will bet it is water or lights. When did you last change your water and what salt do you use. Is there anything close to it that might sting it and start tissue decay? What lights are you using. I see it is high in your tank, maybe to close to the light? It could be many things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Johnson

IME with birdsnest, your coral will completely RTN in just a couple days. I'd recommend cutting it off like you said and hopefully save it.

Tokalosh

IME with birdsnest, your coral will completely RTN in just a couple days. I'd recommend cutting it off like you said and hopefully save it.

This looks like it has been moved from a location it was well happy with......either put it back where it was happiest or move it NOW to the bottom of your tank (sand bed). Giving it the correct flow (Medium to High) with plenty of light should put it back on track.

This is a very hardy coral and it would take a lot to kill one.

Tok

Ratpack

It is in the same spot as it has always been. All I did was turn it about 90 degrees since it was growing to one side. Are these light loving corals? It is off to the side about mid way up in my tank under LED lights. I think I will frag it to see if I can save them good pieces.

Ratpack

I still have the issue of it not encrusting. Someone suggested mounting birdsnest with epoxy because they do not do well with encrusting, is this true?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
My BN does not really encrust either.......maybe its a trend. It looks like STN/RTN from the base. Have you noticed any little bubbles forming on the tips? What is you ALK at and has is possibly moved drastically in the most recent days?