Need advice on lighting

SarahM

Hey everyone, I'm new to all of this. I've wanted a saltwater tank for a while now but was always discouraged by the price.
I've finally decided to start a tank by buying one component at a time and working my way to a fully functional tank.
So far I have bought a 40 gallon breeder tank and built a sturdy stand for it. I have been looking into lighting because I know that can be fairly expensive, but I am overwhelmed by the vast amount of options.
I have found a good deal on a light that I think would work, but I need your help to make sure this will work with my tank and will allow me to keep a good variety of species of fish, invertebrates and corals. I also want to make sure it will light my whole tank, as it is a breeder and needs to fill 36"x18"
Also, if anyone has experience with this specific light, I'd like to know what you think about its capabilities and overall value.

The site wont let me post links, but the light is the Current USA Nova Extreme T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 4X39 Watt, 36 inch from marineandreef.com. it says the list price is $280 and its on sale for $115 which is almost too good to pass up. Just want to make sure that this light is worth the investment and will work well with my tank before I buy it. Thanks!

Mike Johnson

Yes, I have two Current lights. I have a four bulb 48" that is almost nine years old - never a problem yet. I have a eight bulb 48" that's three years old. Had to replace a ballast on that once. Love both those lights; give them high praise.

Talon33

I understand where you are coming from. It took me a year to gather all the equipment I needed. I was just patient and looked for deals on craigslist and my local fish forum. I got my 125 gallon drilled with stand and canopy a year ago for 300 bucks. Picked up all my rock from people getting out of the hobby and got it dirt cheap. I got it for about 100 dollars for 100 lbs. I got my powerheads, sump, mag drive 1200gph pump all for 150. Just 3 weeks ago i picked up a Reef Octopus Diablo xs225 skimmer for 100 bucks. A BRS 5 stage RO/DI unit for a 100. Also got my light for 200. So for around 900 dollars I got all my essentials for 900 dollars. You cannot beat that in this hobby. Livestock and all the little things add up quickly however.

Also my light is the Current USA Nova Extreme 72 inch model. It houses 12 36in 39 watt bulbs like you are looking at. The light works great. I am only running 8 of the 12 bulbs and coral looks great. I do not have any SPS but softies and LPS. I recommend upgrading to after market bulbs. I have ATI bulbs and they are expensive but you get what you pay for. Seem to have a long life and higher PAR ratings.

forestal

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary - I like the current lights - I have found the t5s penetrate nicely even for deeper tanks like a 125' so using this you may want to raise them a little depending on what you will be keeping - esp when introducing new corals -
Honestly for lighting I tend to go to plant/gardening sites as similar lights are much cheaper but you found a great deal

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

SarahM

Thank you all for the advice and warm welcomes! I went ahead and bought these lights yesterday, I couldn't pass up such a good deal.
I will start a new tank thread once I get more stuff together. It may take me a while as I am trying to buy one thing at a time as I can afford it. Just have the tank, stand, and now light... not too exciting yet :yup:

CKI

Sarah welcome! What else are you needing for your tank? I will be in the process of tearing my tank down and doing a new build and might have some things left over. I might be able to help ya out!

SarahM

Sarah welcome! What else are you needing for your tank? I will be in the process of tearing my tank down and doing a new build and might have some things left over. I might be able to help ya out!

Thanks! I'm still looking for an in-sump protein skimmer [found a guy on craigslist willing to give me his, but he flaked on me], a RO/DI system, an overflow box, powerheads, a heater, and then everything needed to test my water parameters.