Natural Sunlight tanks

DrBCool

Well, looks like I will have to test a differant brand of solar tube other than Sun-Dome :-( For my application this one will not work ,But I am waiting for a reply from Velux to see if my idea is a duable solution or not . Keeping my fingers crossed . I have already gotten word from sola tube , as they say it is feasible withtheir product . Taking Opsanus tau's advice and trying to stear clear if I can .

elliottb

I believe it was Adam Blundell that was doing some experimentation with natural sunlight. Natural sunlight has a Kelvin rating of right aroung 6700k (give or take). Most people do not like the look of the yellow in the tank so the supplement actinics and higher degrees kelvin (10000k-20000k). Adam suggested he could put some colored tints on a window which would allows light to pass through but only certain kelvin. So depending on how tinted the window would be, that would be the kelvin of the light.

I personally thought this was a brillient idea.

DrBCool

Yes also curious on the buffing out process .
Is that something that was hard to do or more time involved ?
Always wondered about getting small scratches out of a tank just never went about doing it .

I would estimate that I have spent more than 20 hours, per bowl.
Although they looked clear to the average person(non aquarist)(empty),...I saw all sorts of imperfections as I unpacked the first bowl, (knowing from experience) how these seemingly small imperfections would be exaggerated/magnified 10X once filled with water.

I would estimate that more than 50% of the total surface area(inside and out combined) was "crazed"(small spider-web like, laminar cracks).

I called the company to complain about the condition, and they sent me the second one(for free), that day,..(said they didn't even want the other one back).
..you can imagine how my wheels were already turning thinking that I should learn how to buff acrylic so that I may possibly use the scratched one.
Guess what...the second one came in WORSE!! condition than the first...I HAD to learn how to buff acrylic.

That's how the second one came to be..that night I planned the new plumbing lay-out, and began my acrylic refurbishing search.

I did the insides while they were still dry, and the outsides once they were filled with freshwater,... testing the flow.

BEELZEBOB

Man i really gotta applaude your efforts.

you should really, get like a prize, or at least a medal or something...

I am working on something new outside..... ,again not using a traditional tank .....as my "vessel" for holding H2O.
This one should be really funny-Dave

plecosword

Has anyone played around with having a naturally lit tank?

also, on that note, does anyone ever think about the noise our equipment produces (powerheads, pumps, overflows) and how that affects the animals?
I do!, when i trun of everything, my goby seems less shy and will start eating. or maybe he just likes it when there is not flow.

wiszmaster

I can't wait to see. Very nice fishbowls. Where were you able to purchase the bowls?

I'm up in Fort mYers, and do travel down towards the keys every now & then ... I'd like to talk to you sometime.