Naso Tang

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Well I have this thing for Naso's and as usual I can't like blonds better then brunettes so you can say I'm partial towards the harder ones to obtain (at least by me) which are the Hawaiian Tangs. So to make thing a little more interesting, I would like a pair for my tank.

I know more then 1 is usually a no no but if they truly love each other they should play nice.:jabber:

Any thought and recommendations dos and don’ts on how to obtain a pair and from whom?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Tangs Are Not Good, if your prepared to do the proper QT procedures, get the correct permits from the tang police and solve world hunger? fill your boots

saltee

i LOVE LOVE LOVE my naso. hes going to eventually out grow my tank and it will be a sad day but i will be determined to find him an enormous home. hes the one who greets me in the morning, he plays nice with everyone in the tank. i saved him from a lfs where he was in a dark tank some growth on his skin and a sad look. now hes my #1 fan and he never lets me forget it.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Best fish I have. Takes peanuts from my mouth.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

DaveK

Here is what your dealing with when you get a naso tang. First, they get big about 18". This means your going to need about a 200 gal tank to house the fish. That's one fish. Adding a second one of the same species is almost certain to start a war between the two fish. Although you might have some success if you get two of them when they are small, and can easily hide in that 300 gal tank. You tank will need to be about this size because you got two of them now. Frankly, you'd have a much better chance keeping two tangs of different species.

As pointed out tangs are notorious ich magnets. You must quarantine them to make sure they are not carrying any diseases. Ich is especially hard on tangs, so you should start treatment right away if you see anything.

Now if you are prepared to meet their requirements, then I'd say go for it, and enjoy your tangs.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Here is what your dealing with when you get a naso tang. First, they get big about 18". This means your going to need about a 200 gal tank to house the fish. That's one fish. Adding a second one of the same species is almost certain to start a war between the two fish. Although you might have some success if you get two of them when they are small, and can easily hide in that 300 gal tank. You tank will need to be about this size because you got two of them now. Frankly, you'd have a much better chance keeping two tangs of different species.

As pointed out tangs are notorious ich magnets. You must quarantine them to make sure they are not carrying any diseases. Ich is especially hard on tangs, so you should start treatment right away if you see anything.

Now if you are prepared to meet their requirements, then I'd say go for it, and enjoy your tangs.

Every salt tank I had had a Naso in it and out lasted almost every fish.

The tank is a 150 and as always in this hobby everything is subject to change at a moments notice especially with myself (sometimes that's bad) :)

I've seen a few tanks with a pair and obv. it was male and female.

Are thinking that a matching pair will create a war?

Also when you say different species you aren't talking about 1 blonde and 1
Hawaiian are you?

DaveK

Every salt tank I had had a Naso in it and out lasted almost every fish.

The tank is a 150 and as always in this hobby everything is subject to change at a moments notice especially with myself (sometimes that's bad) :)

I've seen a few tanks with a pair and obv. it was male and female.

Are thinking that a matching pair will create a war?

Also when you say different species you aren't talking about 1 blonde and 1
Hawaiian are you?

I'd consider a 150 marginal, a little small, but doable for a naso tang.

If you have a mated pair then maybe, but the trick is getting a mated pair. You could loose a lot of fish in the process of obtaining one.

When I say different species, you do best when the two tangs are as dissimilar as possible. A blond naso and normal colored naso would be considered very similar. A purple tang and naso would be considered very dissimilar. However, that doesn't mean things are going to work out. Another thing to watch out for, sometimes the tangs living together are young fish, and you get away with it. Then they become sexually mature, and start ripping into each other.

All this represents risks you take with the fish, but then again, you might get lucky.

reefer gladness

I don't know zip about naso's but I remember seeing 1 or 2 at least on my last visit to one of the better LFS in the area. They have a pretty solid rep for shipping too but instead of ordering online I recommend you call in to the store and ask for Dave the owner and talk about what you want. He may be able to help you out with a mated pair if he thinks it's doable in your tank.

They earned a new level of respect from me recently by refusing to sell me a blenny he thought would starve in my tank within 2-3 months.

Buy Naso Tang Online | Vivid Aquariums

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Sounds like a solid idea. Cant imagine the shipping part though. Its pretty cold here in nj right now but ill certainly call and see what he has to say. Thanks!