Naso Tang - hole in side

75reef

Hey guys. I just got a Naso tang this past weekend and it had a slightly darker spot on its side when I got it. Yesterday I noticed that it developed a hole in its side.
I am assuming that it would be more bacterial. I currently have him in a quarantine tank and and treating him with antibiotics.

The surrounding area does not seem affected/red/inflamed. Any thoughs or suggestions?

lcstorc

Details, Details, Details,
Pictures, parameters, tankmates, feeding routine and ingredients. Anything you can think of can help correctly diagnose the problem.

reefer4200

i have a problem with my previous naso...he seemed to rub his one side on EVERY rock until it started really hurting him and causing severe damage. I ended up taking him back and not sure what happened...Sounds like your prob. might be disease unlike mine...?

leebca

For me to express an opinion of any value I would need to see a clear, up close, hi def photo of the area and then one where the fish fills the frame.

Since you just acquired the fish, then I assume it is unlikely water quality or feeding UNLESS your water quality in the QT was really bad. Look for any source of injury or attack from inside the tank it came from. What other marine life was it with in its previous home?

Antibiotic treatment is a good precaution when the situation is unknown. So many conditions lead to secondary bacterial infections anyway. Just be sure to prefer an antibiotic that treats Gram Negative bacteria.

Without the above mentioned photo, there isn't much I can say.

You may want to review this post to avoid fish with health issues in the future: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/34036-should-i-buy-fish-healthy.html

75reef

OK, here is some pictures of him. I actually didn't quarantine him first ( I usually do). I know thiws had to have been in developement when I bought him but just not quite as progressed as it is now.

Attachments

• tang 007b1.jpg
    tang 007b1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 68
  • tang 008b1.jpg
    tang 008b1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 68

75reef

Those pics were from yesterday. This is a pic from today. He still has that same hole but his skin is irritated and kindof sluffing off in front of the hole.

Attachments

• tang 010a.jpg
    tang 010a.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 64

75reef

This is the fourth day and it is getting worse. This is the start of day 3 of anitbiotics. Day two none were added per the bottle instructions.

75reef

I used water from the big tank. I just tested the parameters in the tank the day I bought the fish and without writing them all out, they were perfect. All 0's for the important 3. PH- 8.2 and salinity I keep at 1.022. I use Mardel Maracyn Plus which I have had good success with in the past.

leebca

The area has an injury look to it with a very likely bacterial infection taking hold. If not already, then the bacterial infection is likely to become systemic.

Antibiotic treatment is the thing to do. Maracyn Plus contains two antibiotics. One is a sulfa based antibiotic (Sulfadimidine). I don't have much faith in the application of sulfa drugs to marine fishes. This particular sulfa drug was used to treat fishes with coccidia infections (protozoan infections). But it has not been thoroughly studied nor proven effective beyond the one application I am aware of that it has been used to treat. I'm open to read current papers with other efficacy effects, however. I generally avoid the use of sulfa-based drugs since they do not do well with copper. Since I have used copper in treatments, I don't use sulfa drugs.

The other antibiotic in Plus (Trimethoprin) is good against Gram Negative bacteria but isn't usually dosed alone, but with a sulfa drug (as in the Plus formula). All I know for sure about this is that I don't know how effective it is. This formula hasn't been around long enough for me to try it out or for me to have gathered evidence of its value.

In general, the sulfa-Trimethoprin combination has controlled bacterial and fungal infections in the past. I have not heard that they are very strong cures -- just control agents. Lastly, it is primarily a topical (surface) bacteria treatment. I think what you have is going or gone systemic.

You don't mention if the fish is eating or not. If the fish is eating, I would add immune boosters to its food: Fish Immune Boosters - Reeflands Forum

Please let us know how it is going with the fish. You may have the first, first-hand results of using Maracyn Plus in such cases, to my knowledge. The info you gather can be useful. You would know within 5 days of the first dosage if it was helping.

If at the 5-day mark you see no improvement, switch to Maracyn Two for Saltwater fish and, as Lynn has mentioned, put a double dose of that antibiotic in the water (after removing the other antibiotics from the water).

DO NOT DOUBLE DOSE THE Plus FORMULA.

Please post how the fish is doing and if you can, a photo at the 5th day of treatment. Thanks!

:)

75reef

I may try to put a second dose in there to make it double. He looks like he is on his way out. Starting to loose equilibrium and is running into the glass like he is going blind or something. He is not eating.

I am guessing he will not make it through the night from previous experiences when they get this way. I have never really seen a fish recover from this point but who knows...

75reef

By the way, I just reread and noticed not to double dose the plus. Good I caught that before I did it.

lcstorc

You scared me but you caught it yourself.
I would still check the parameters on the QT. Amonia will build up quickly with a tang in a QT.

75reef

you are very correct! The Ammonia crept up to about 0.4. I did an immediate 40% water change and it is around .1 - .2 Will check tomorow again and maybe do another water change.

75reef

actually I did. I put another half dose in. I wonder if he was acting strange because of the high ammonia or because of the infection itself. Hopefully the symptoms will let up with a lower ammonia level till tomorrow morning.