nano reef help

aminyassien

hi everybody

please i eed you suggestion for constructing a 20 galon nano reef?

what i will need to do or to use ?

filteration , lights and mentaining.

thank you in advance

amin

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What do you want to do with your tank long term ?

What type of corals do you want?

Fish?

aminyassien

thanks

i would like to make it for soft corals

no problem for fish issue

i want to know about light and equibment i will use

thanks in advance

redsea reefer

If you do not know about lighting, filtration, etc.... May I suggest you start with a JBJ 24g nano cube to get your feet wet and giving you additional time to research on various aspects of reef keeping. It will be hard to piece together a tank if you don't know what your looking for. Once you have kept your tank running long term, you will learn about lighting and such through your research and help from other members here...Good Luck with whatever you decide.

aminyassien

actually in my country nothing found like JBJ 24g nano
what we have is for fresh water and it is not good for reef
so we make the tank and sumps manually

redsea reefer

you might be a able find a vendor that will ship worldwide. If not, this is how I would set up a 20g.

Lighting- a good PC lighting or even better a T5 fixture if you want a soft coral tank.

Filtration- Done by 20-30 pounds of Live rock and 20 pounds of Live sand.
maybe a hang-on back filter to house carbon and filter pad.

Maintenance- water changes every week.

hope that helped you..

BLAKEJOHN

I dont know what shipping costs are to Egypt, but you may want to find out if things can be shipped to you at a reasonable cost. Trying to build a system only using what you have available locally may prove hard to do and may not the best method.

aminyassien

the problem is not the shipping cost
the customs on such tanks are high

the nearest point for me is Dubai but still the customs is a big headache

BLAKEJOHN

I have no idea aboiut customs. But still look at your options for equipment online. One thing I sometimes notice in other countries that have a hard time getting or affording reef equipment is the use of an "Under Gravel Filter" (UGF) and the use of crushed coral (CC). I would try to refrain from using any of theses two products regardless of what some may tell you. Otherwise most Freshwater equipent can be used without any problem. One thing to consider when buying equipment is to think about the maintenence schedule for said component. Anything that will trap debris such as sponges, filter pads..etc.. will need cleaning every other day.

Go ahead go pick out what type of fish and coral you want to keep. Then post your decisions here along with equpiment you think you will need and we will help you along the way. Try not to just buy anything untill you post and ask. This will save you money in the long run.