Nano Cube DX used but NEW to me! How do I turn off light!?

jtrosebud

Hi!
I just need to know how to turn the light off. The switch on top with the straight line/circle indicating on/off I assume does nothing. How do I turn the light off? I have been searching all day!

jtrosebud

Hi! New to Reef, need some help.

Nano Cube DX 12 gallon.
Can't turn light off?
All the inverts are running to the top?
Salinity is in check.
Filter, power running, just can't figure what this on/off switch on top does.
Really need help.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Re: Hi! New to Reef, need some help.

Does it have the "Remote Ballast"? A large black box where the cord(s) from the hood plug into and then a plug goes to the wall? That's what mine had before I converted it to LED and did away with all the built in fans & lights.

What do you mean "all the inverts are running to the top"

Is the tank TEMP getting too high?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I just now noticed you had 2 very similar threads going at the same time. I took the liberty of merging them into ONE thread so that all replies are in one place. This helps you get the assistance you need and keeps the rest of us from getting confused (I do that too easily).

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

jtrosebud

Thanks! I found the switch on what I now know is a ballaster? Thanks.

As far as the inverts, the sea cucumber and snails were all going to the top and I viewed them several times before I got the tank and thy all seemed to just hang around whenever. They have all settled back down today. I don't know if it was the move or what.

I don't think it is too hot. I have seen the ideal temp is about 76 is that right? I have those guys mentioned above and a clown fish. This tank is used but new to me so any suggestions are welcome.

Adalius

Not a ballaster, that's part of a stairs, but a ballast. It basically controls and limits the starting and operating voltage of a light as some lights have what's known as negative resistance.

I've also had lots of snails/cukes/sea slugs that hang around up at the top. Then in a couple days they'd mosey down to the bottom again. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

jtrosebud

Ok- so thanks so far you guys a couple of new questions despite all the research I've done.

1. All this talk about sponge/no sponge, bio-ball no bio balls, I really don't know what to do. I don't have the manual. I can't even really see how the tank filters and it's bugging me. If you are looking at the tank left to right I see intake there and a charcoal bag under a sponge. In the second there is a big clump of something at the bottom and a sponge on top, then there are the balls and the output valve. I don't like that the balls are covered with white specs and tube looking things. I don't like that I can't figure out what the clump in section 2 is, is there a bag I should know about down there? I'm not sticking my hand in it.

2. Do clown fish generally swim sideways when they sleep? It does it every nite.

3. This ballast/power switch on top thing. So I have the ballast does that mean the switch on top is useless and that the lighting is different than the original lighting? How do I know what lighting I have? I need to know so I can get proper reef procedure down and for any new inhabitants.

Again, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
I'm going to Living Sea with pics on my camera but after what I have read on here the LFS (look at me, I'm getting abbreviations down already:)
can't be trusted.
Jenny