my solution , my problem hippocampus Erectus

Basile

Well i did this getto looking contraption for my seahorses but the problem is that it works too well. I'm not sure what to do exactly about it. The box is closed in , the animal can enter from only one side so the powerhead can be left on and can't blow the mysis away so the horses can feed all day at leasure as they would do in nature. My concern is the amount. Normally i would feed them twice a day and restart the powerhead after 15 min each time. Now they have all day to eat and now i'm up to well 4 cubes a day of mysis. is it too much?? they take about 40 min each to eat i have 2 couples 2 males , 2 females. Actually i should say one couple and the one male and one female not coupled yet; and its shows.....

This is an ordinary plastic box from staples , not very flexible, and when i did the opening it didn't go smoothly it cracked. So one concerns is that the korses might get injured on the edge so i'll get another box and use a hot knife to carve the hole.

Photo401.jpg

The male Hippocampus erectus, The lined seahorses, lives only 3-4 years bummer!

Photo402.jpg

The female was the quickest to get in

Photo403.jpg

Don't worri the hammerhead does it job in the morning so i'm getting my $ 80 worth of work out of this magnet per day lol

Photo404.jpg

Photo224.jpg

The 75 Gallons starfire display refugium is split in 2. On the right side is the seahorses pen , the left side will be the Angler side. Both in a Macroalgae collection.

Photo225-1.jpg

Photo223.jpg

Photo207-1.jpg

Photo205.jpg

The Angler side

Photo206-2.jpg

Photo201-1.jpg

Photo195-1.jpg

Photo196-2.jpg

Photo191-1.jpg

Photo190-1.jpg

Photo189-1.jpg

Photo188-1.jpg

Photo187-1.jpg

Photo186-2.jpg

Photo185-2.jpg

Photo166-1.jpg

Photo161-1.jpg

Photo416.jpg

Photo158-1.jpg

SantaMonicaHelp

RS Sponsor
Wow I really enjoyed your pictures.
Seems like the lady seahorse loved the new compartment lol.
Hope your project went well for all of four seahorses and also hope none of them got injured!

-Nancy

Basile

Wow I really enjoyed your pictures.
Seems like the lady seahorse loved the new compartment lol.
Hope your project went well for all of four seahorses and also hope none of them got injured!

-Nancy

Actually it did very well check it out in this video;

[video=youtube;nk7oX0LAetE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk7oX0LAetE&list=PLk_Pw-jAYdFfzK1jNhN7rAilGwHaEzvH5&index=13[/video]

I write big for my iphone friends

giphy%2042.gif

sirrealism

Thats very cool. I am going to try this with my next horses. I bet it would help getting wild horses to eat frozen. Are your wild caught?

SeaboyHPT

Great pics! And great idea for a feeding station. I used to have seahorse myself and I know the feeding thing is a real challenge keeping the tank clean.

I do have two suggestion, you might want to add a hitching post to that box. Horses like to wrap their tail around something secure and you can see from the video that one of them is struggling to grab the underside of the box for something. Maybe just a piece of airline tube. Also, I would sand down those rough edges on the box. As you know, they dont have scales and their skin can easily get scratched which means they can get an infection much more easy then a regular fish.

Good luck, I home you enjoy them for a long time.