My RSM journey

Bigjacko

Well...after too many years away from the hobby I decided this year that the house needed a marine tank again. I visited a fairly local LFS and bought an Orca TL 550. I didn't even wet the Orca and decided that an upgrade was needed.

So after much debate with my lovely wife, she agreed to allow a larger tank as long as it didn't turn into a spaghetti junction.

Enter the RSM 250. 1 plug and a happy wife....yippee.

So, 33kg of LR and 2 bags of Caribsea Florida crushed shell substrate I have the beginnings of my wee bit o' reef

DSC00487.jpg

DSC00491.jpg

DSC00493.jpg

and my phallic piece of LR
DSC00497.jpg

and a wee hitchhiker....now at my local LFS

Crab1.jpg

There are a couple more of these still in the tank. All I have seen them do is eat algae, both coralline and my recent bloom of hair....more on that later

Sapphire

Lovely looking scape I look forward to seeing how this comes along!

PS - that is quite a phallic piece of live rock at the moment!!!!

Last edited:

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Great stuff jacko! Don't be fooled by those crabs - especially the red eye ones. They'll wait until its dark and you're not looking and rip your snails apart.
Nice rockwork... I look forward to seeing your reef progress...

Bigjacko

Here are my first additions thanks to a fellow reefer from a few weeks ago.

DSC00500.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00506.jpg

Just a couple of small mushroom frags and I was hooked

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Great start to what will be a great looking tank! I liked the "spaghetti junction" comment - that's a bit what my 130 has turned into. :)

Bigjacko

So....a few weeks down the line and a few additions.
DSC00547.jpg

DSC00548.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

DSC00550.jpg

DSC00551.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

DSC00555.jpg

There are a couple of other fish including a couple of tomato clowns, still shy and hide at the rear of the tank, a citron goby and a lawnmower blennie

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Very nice! What's the coral in the 3rd picture? It looks like an Elegance (Catalaphyllia), but the bubble tips have me confused about that.

Sapphire

very coll addtiions! You've chosen nice things! I'm with Terry re the elegance - looks like one but I've never seen the bubbles before? Is it something else? Very pretty anyway!

Bigjacko

Thanks guys, it's an Elegance I purchased 2 weeks ago and from what I have seen so far loves it's poition in the tank.

It is stunning. Here's a better picture of it.

DSC00560.jpg

Last edited:

Sapphire

It is beautiful, and like I said I've never seen one with those bubble tips before!

That's a great pic of it too!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I LOVE Elegance coral... they are rated as one of the more difficult corals & are a bit costly... so I have waited... but I do want one :)

Bigjacko

Well time for an update and a few additions

DSC00595.jpg

My little acan.....I haven't told the wife how much that one cost;)

DSC00596.jpg

DSC00598.jpg

Bob the bobbing lawnmower blenny
DSC00601.jpg

Sooky the Citron gobby

DSC00605.jpg

A few small polops popping up all over the place.....ID welcome

DSC00606.jpg

DSC00608.jpg

DSC00551-1.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

Snail eggs on a powerhead