My RSM 250 journey

sacktheqb65

The new tank arrived and I assembled it. Yes, I am puttign the tank between 2 windows, but they are never open, so the sunlight/heat will not be a problem.

I added live rock, sand and water and let it cycle.

I have since added some living creatures and will post those pictures later.

sacktheqb65

As promised... MORE PICS!

I added a Flame Angel and a Royal gramma. Also, added a hairy mushroom, suggested by my LFS and a Coral Banded Shrimp.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Nice Hairy Mushroom! You'll want to watch that flame angel.....can turn into a nipper!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS!! Thanks for starting a tank thread, looking forward to watching it grow!

sacktheqb65

Thanks PSU.

I love the Hairy, the bright green shining through is really pretty.

The FA has been nipping at and eating algae since he moved in. Even nipping the backs of the snails!

Thanks to you too, Greg.

If ANYONE has ideas/thoughts on what might look nice where, let me know. I an planning to glue some zoas to the back wall so its not just black soon... Other than that, I am completely open to thoughts!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:yehoo: CONGRATS on your NEW RSM 250 :yehoo:
And CHEERS for starting a tank thread to share it with Reef Sanctuary :geekin:
You have 2 of the most colorful fish already :thumbup:
Just GO SLOW & give your tank time to adjust to what you've added before you add more.
Very excited for you...:welcomera to the ADDICTION :D

sacktheqb65

Hi everyone, I am trying to go slow. After adding the fish I had a HUGE diatom bloom that was not the typical brown bloom it was very green, but with instruction from my LFS I just waited it out and reduced my "daylight" for a couple of hours per day and it cleared up in about 6 days.
Well its been about 2 weeks since then and now my water is cloudy again, still green but not sticking on the glass as much. The fish seem to be happy and swimming. Could this be a bacterial bloom? Anything I should do or just wait it out like the first time?

I am really hoping for help before going away for vacation. Thanks!

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
It should be fine, keep up your weekly water changes 10-15% & run some cpe & purigen for chemical filtration - it could be a bacterial bloom

sacktheqb65

So much has happened since my last post!!! I had a huge algea bloom in my water, not sticking to the glass or anything, just free floating green disgusting-ness. (Apparently right on the heels of the last post once I thought I was in the clear, silly me!)

I had actually gone away for the 4th of july weekend and returned home to find this-knowing that I was going back out of town the same day and couldnt deal with it. What a mess and worry the whole time I was gone. I decided to skip a feeding and turn the lighting back while I was away thinking that maybe that would help for the 2 additional days I would be out of town. No help. I came back to the tank looking pretty much the same. But the fish were still swimming and seemingly happy, at least when they were out near the glass and I could see them, so I was going to try to wait it out and work with it.

Slowly I started to see what looked like little nips taken from thier fins. I think the Coral Banded decided it was easy to catch since they couldnt see him coming when they were resting.

Then I noticed that I hadnt seen the FA so I decided that I needed to find the body and took everything apart so I could find him, and sure enough when I found the body my shrimp was standing on it. :(

I started talking more heavily to my LFS about some fixes to speed the process to try to help the Gramma before it was too late. But it was already too late (never did find him, I am assuming eaten).

We did introduce a UV to the tank for a week, just to help kill off the algae. He has been in the business for 27 years and has tested every parameter possible and still isnt sure what caused it unless phosphates were just a little high and a subsequent water change along with the UV helped nuetralize. Anyway, once the water began to clear (within a day) I realized how much I had messed up my rock work. :(

Now knowing that my fish were gone I moved on to inspecting my corals. They all still looked fine.

I havent had fish for about 4 weeks now and I am waiting about 4 weeks or so before adding any fish. (Stocking list suggestions are welcome!)

But in the meantime I have rearranged the rock structure closer to the original setup and moved the coral pieces around. (These were taken shortly after lights came on so most of the corals are still drawn up)

I also talked the LFS into letting me return my Coral Banded and replace it with a Cleaner Shrimp and a Blood Shrimp.

Still want tons but I am being more patient and waiting to make sure I dont have any more algae issues before diving in again. Please let me know any advice on stocking (I know the rules, but anything to stay away from or to definitely get would be appreciated) or if you know the perfect piece of coral to get for the top of the rock on the left etc, I would be happy to hear that as well!!!

Thanks Guys!

Last edited:

Clint24

Hello there. Sorry to hear about your loses & troubles but it looks like you are doin good now. I like your hairy mushroom, very nice!!
I have had a few problems & loses as well. :( I'm still battling GHA in my tank so I haven't been able to add many corals. It's a slow process, this hobby. I look at all the pics on this forum & think to myself....one day my tank might look half as good as some of these pics!!! :)

Well, good luck & fun fishin!!

CD

sacktheqb65

I waited 7 weeks without fish... Now I have added some fish and some additional coral peices (and moved one of the old ones). I hope you enjoy!

Here is my tank!

I added a rock that was covered in red mushrooms (they still arent fully inflated from the move). Also there was a bonus luttle leather on it!

I also got a nice piece of pink hammer coral. This piece has a little baby piece just forming, I dont think the shop knew about that either as he had it laying on the little guy.

I also added a purple urchin! This one like to hide. he has scooped up all of my extra hermit crab shells to sue to hide.

My fish are a Coral Beauty and a Midas Blenny. They are hard to see in the pictures I took last night since they were still hiding a lot.
Here is the Coral Beauty (this is right before he got cleaned by the shrimp.

This is a Pic of the Midas Blenny when still at the store.

sacktheqb65

I have added 2 more fish!!! I added a Yellow Corris Wrasse

and a Gold Head Sleeper Goby

Here is a full tank shot. I had just fed to try to get everybody out in front, so it looks a little cloudy.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Very pretty additions :) Yellow must be your favorite fish color :fishy2: :fishy:
Hope they get along well together. Any plans for more coral additions?

sacktheqb65

Yellow really isn't a favorite, it just happened that way. The coris wrasse may get exchanged down the road, I just liked how active he seemed. :) I am looking forward to adding a flame hawk and a couple of clowns and maybe a dragon goby in the future! I do want to add some more coral, but my LFS seems to be having issues getting any in, or has customers that purchase them immediately. So just waiting for the right piece, looking for something with good color at this point. This is what scares me from ordering online, I like to see the colors before placing order. In a few months, I am also hoping for an anemone that the clowns will (hopefully) host in so I want to make sure I leave room (bottom right I think) for that. Any thoughts on specific corals that you think would be nice I am all ears!!!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Have you added anything new? :fishy:
I'd try to talk you out of adding an anemone if I thought I'd do any good ;) ....just read up on what a pain they can be before you try to get one to STAY where you want it to stay. :yup:

sacktheqb65

Thanks Diana! Nothing new... I am waiting, being patient... I am actually all ears and will listen to any advice. I am not married to the idea of an anemone but I do love the color and the look. What corals would you suggest? I need some color diversity in this tank!!! I need some updated pictures, things have grown since these!!!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Let's see a new FTS :camera:
I'd like to help stock some one else's tank since mine is filled in so much that I have no more room to add anything.
I am thinking that I added too many corals & they are getting too much BIGGER than I allowed room for.
I'll check back for some new pictures :camera: