My RSM 130 build

Chris McKenna

Picked up an older RSM 130 used for $200 off CL. It's my first saltwater tank. Got 30 lbs of dry rock in there with about 25 lbs of live sand and a small piece of live rock. Dialed in the SG to 1.024 or so and have the temp at about 77. I've been putting in shrimp to help the cycle along.

I have a bit of gsp that was on the live rock but I may get rid of it. It's doing okay already and every morning it blooms out quite nicely.

I really can't wait to get everything going! Has been running about 3 weeks. Will take pics in the AM.

Chris McKenna

Forgot to mention... Running a tunze 9001 and media basket in there. Stock lights. Filter media on top level, phosban in middle... Third empty so far.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Cheers for starting a tank thread ! so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Chris McKenna

Sorry for the delay in pics. Going through an ugly bloom period. So far I have a few turbos, two scarlet hermits and a couple of other assorted snails.

Chris McKenna

Well I have snails, two blue green chromis and some GSP in there now. Everything is alive and well, but my sump has trouble maintaining the water level. Also, I get salt crystals around the base... It's making me nervous. Is that normal at all? It's where the glass meets the plastic lower rim.

The salt around the base is not normal. Where do you have your return pump aimed? I know when I had mine pointed to far up it caused larger waves and the water can jump over the rim and down the side. Which could cause the problem you speak of.

Pat24601

The salt around the base is not normal. Where do you have your return pump aimed? I know when I had mine pointed to far up it caused larger waves and the water can jump over the rim and down the side. Which could cause the problem you speak of.

Id agree. It's not normal and sadly possibly not good. Hopefully it's just something where the water is creeping over...