My pump is humming.

Basile

Is there something to be done for my return pump that's humming. Its been inactive for several months and now that i've started my system its humming.

DaveK

The first thing I'd do here is take it apart and clean everything, especially the impeller and the related areas.

Dirt and other stuff can really cause noise issues.

What is the name and model of the pump your using? Some are know to have noise or vibration issues.

Basile

The first thing I'd do here is take it apart and clean everything, especially the impeller and the related areas.

Dirt and other stuff can really cause noise issues.

What is the name and model of the pump your using? Some are know to have noise or vibration issues.

Its a RO DC 5500 , it was very silent when first bought, you're right i'll take it apart this afternoon. My fear is that i need a new impeller and only 3 years old, the no longer make that pump grr . The next pump i buy; i'll buy the replacement part as well. Hopefully you're right about particles stuck there . But it was cleaned before storage.

DaveK

I use one of them on my closed loop in my reef. It's a good pump.

That is one of the down sides of these DC controlled pumps. Most of them are made in China, and once they make the run, that's it for them. Even when you get it new, replacement parts might not be available. The good news is that most of these pumps are similar, so if you can match the specs, replacement should just be a swap. (Famous last words, I know)

Basile

I use one of them on my closed loop in my reef. It's a good pump.

That is one of the down sides of these DC controlled pumps. Most of them are made in China, and once they make the run, that's it for them. Even when you get it new, replacement parts might not be available. The good news is that most of these pumps are similar, so if you can match the specs, replacement should just be a swap. (Famous last words, I know)

The humming is gone the pump needed a few days of running i guess, thanks.