My pet Peppermint

Mike Johnson

You guys remember back last fall I was breeding shrimp. Well, because of neglect on my part, and cannibalism, I only had three grow to the about 5/8" size. Then I decided I'd train them to eat aiptasia and put a couple rocks in the 10 gal. with them. Oops, I also put my 10 year old Brittle Star in there. It got two of them. This is the only one I have left; it's about 1 1/2" now. It gets hand fed every other day. I know it's quite a waste of energy to raise one shrimp in a 10 gal., but I raised it from an egg and it's pretty special.

I'm going to breed some again real soon. This time I think I'll do much better.

Mike Johnson

Here's the culprit. I've had it for 9 years and the fish store told me they had it for 2 years? I had to buy the rock it was in to purchase it. I wonder how old they live?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Pretty neat - what was your process and how long did it take? I always thought about pulling my female out and letting her give birth and try to raise them......just not sure how long it takes or what I would feed them.

Mike Johnson

Well, then you're going to like this thread. I'm going to go through the process here. And, it's a lot easier than you think. But it is something that you have to do full time, which was my problem. And, I still had some live. Here's what you will need:

Mike Johnson

The top right is micro ball valve to control the air flow; very little when just hatched and increased as they get bigger. This is my larvae grow out container. I got this idea from the way they raise larval fish. The circular container keeps them from getting stuck in corners.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I'm tagging along...

One question though, how do you know the male from the female?

Mike Johnson

I'm tagging along...

One question though, how do you know the male from the female?

They are simultaneous hermaphrodites. Once the "mother" releases her eggs she will then shed. It's a dangerous time for that shrimp because one shrimp might want to mate with it and another one might want to eat it. A mother after releasing her eggs might be the father the next time. I lost several adults because of this.