My peacock mantis shrimp chronicle.

PIMPALA

A couple of years ago, I acquired a nice looking Peacock Mantis Shrimp (Odontodactylus Scyllarus) from a LFS. The plan was to house it in the 20 long that I was tearing down from being a nano reef.

the reef looked like this:

photo12.jpg

then it got dismantled, and looked like this:

photo2-2.jpg

got the peacock mantis in a 5 gallon bucket. measuring the shrimp based on the area of the bucket it takes up, she measured a little over 6"

photo4-2.jpg

2 minutes into being in the tank:

photo3-2.jpg

video of the mantis eating the first day it was in the tank (click to watch)

PIMPALA

Added a bunch of rock rubble, and empty snail shells for her to smash on, redecorate with.

here is day1 before she touches anything. I just tossed everything in there:

1-1.jpg

Here is the tank 2 hours after i put that rubble in:

2-1.jpg

already doing work!

Here are a few cell phone pics I got of her while it was out checking me out:

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

In this one you can really see the "hammers" good.

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

PIMPALA

day 3 of her redecorating, and ALL of the rubble moved to suit her new home.

4-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

a "back door" was made by the mantis. I now know this is pretty much a necessity to keep a mantis happy in an aquarium.

6.jpg

PIMPALA

added several more rocks, and lots of rubble and random stuff to see if the mantis would still be interested:

7-1.jpg

and overnight:

8.jpg

and FYI... urchins are meals.

12.jpg

mine has eaten both a pencil urchin, and a very large long spine urchin. lol

then I moved the tank from my office, to my house. Re-scaped it, and put the cave on one end.

de663c19.jpg

f36ad5a2.jpg

that little bit of caluerpa grew fast. i also added a RBTA after a split:

DSC02563.jpg

dbef1473.jpg

7e1db82e.jpg

7879eda4.jpg

eab8e082.jpg

20cbc263.jpg

PIMPALA

the macro really grew in fast, and i LOVED the way it looked:

12bb000a.jpg

9437c6a6.jpg

but then, due to me not having light 24/7 on that caluerpa, it got mad at me:

a3b0bf1d.jpg

removed the macro, added a 48" UV sterilizer, and a 12 gallon water change.

4133b907.jpg

no losses!

48 hours, and all params back in check.

0cd640c6.jpg

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Jason that's an awesome thread. Welcome mantis Zen master. Keep em coming dude. U just filled my 40 breeder. Just worried about him breaking the glass. Foolish worry? Whattya feed him? Can u keep corals with it

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

PIMPALA

Tore down the 20 long, transferred the mantis, RBTA, Clown, and all rock to a 54 gallon corner tank:

85986c38.jpg

2b2cd0f1.jpg

96f4baf3.jpg

that "pile" of rocks, is completely hollow in the middle. there is a cave entrance in the front, and 2 escape paths in the back on either side of the overflow. the cave in the center is about the size of 3 softballs.

happy mantis in its new home:
948a6be2.jpg

6ee8277c.jpg

c89c97a4.jpg

now the 54 corner sits back to back with a 155 bowfront, including a "viewing window" between the two tanks:

1000003679.jpg

1000003680.jpg

1000003681.jpg

1000003706.jpg

and here is how it sits today:

d467c0f7.jpg

PIMPALA

Jason that's an awesome thread. Welcome mantis Zen master. Keep em coming dude. U just filled my 40 breeder. Just worried about him breaking the glass. Foolish worry? Whattya feed him? Can u keep corals with it

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

#1 mine has never even attempted to hit the glass. even when im "teasing" him with the mag float. the bottom glass is tempered, i seriously doubt a mantis could break it even if they tried.

#2 i feed mine all kinds of stuff. live snails and hermits (hes eaten 2 urchins too, but thats an expensive meal, lol) and i buy fresh shrimp and scallops at the deli. i rinse, and cut them up, then freeze them. Then I feed the tank every other day with thawed shrimp/scallops. the lion, trigger, and clown also eat it at the same time. the stupid clown usually overfeeds the RBTA.

#3 you can keep whatever corals you want in the tank, but i suggest softies. I have zoas, and kenya trees in mine. the mantis is thought to be very susceptible to shell rot, which is widely blamed on bright lights usually found in a reef that would be needed for LPS/SPS.

also, he WILL aquascape as he sees fit. so if you put a frag in there, its VERY likely to get moved... maybe even into the den. or upside down blocking a hole or something. lol

Funlad3

I love that shrimp. It's more like a mantis I think though!

!EDIT! Lobster. More like a lobster. I'm going to bed.

PIMPALA

lol. thanks man! but i wouldnt go THAT far. there are some really really nice mantis tanks out there. the next upgrade will likely be to move the predator tank inhabitants into the 155 bowfront, and build a much larger reef. (once i build a new house, and have the space/money)

Built347

Well..the standard for me then.. ill put some pics up in a minute.. my mantis has a box in the projects compared to that castle... :)

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk