my new tank

cuttlefish

i have decided on an invertebrate tank - i have a 55 gallon tank with about 3 inches of sand i have put a bit of lava rock stratus type rock and stone just ordered some carib life rock as extras now when eventually my tank is matured enough the inmates can be deposited in but my word it is a minefield to find which goes with which - trial and error? i dont want any coral i love hermit crabs i would love a clown and anenomes starfish polyps and a urchin i realise i am not doing a reef tank as i do not want corals and the only fish will be one clownfish with its own anenome oh and i almost forgot a sea hare if possible i a m very new to inverts and hope to learn a lot so i do not inadvertantly kill any of them by the wrong compatability hence i am not adding a sea cucumber to my list

DaveK

Keep in mind that once you have live rock and inverts, it is effect a reef system. It just doesn't have any corals. About the only other difference is that you don't need the intense lighting that many corals require.

With inverts, it's very important to check each one out before you purchase. There are a lot of them that can really do in other species of inverts. Mantis shrimp come to mind. Some inverts also have very special feeding requirements. Fore example, harlequin shrimp require a diet of starfish. Inverts are not something to buy on impulse. Also, and this is very important, never ever depend on your LFS to give you correct advice on inverts. Most have no idea at all.

Anemones require excellent water quality, stable conditions, and excellent lighting. At this point you have everything you need for corals, if you ever change your mind. It will take about a year for a tank to stabilize to the point where you can add an anemone. Don't try to rush it.

A sea hare is usually not a good choice because it required a diet of mostly algae. Once it cleans up the tank, it will tend to starve. Many aquarium clubs have a single sea hare and share it among the members as needed just to control algae. That way it doesn't starve.

All that being said, and invert tank can be very interesting. Don't let me telling you about the pitfalls discourage you. I'd also recommend having a few fish in there so non-reef people looking at the tank will not think it's empty.

cuttlefish

Thank you for telling me about the sea hare i will cross that off my list patience has never been one of my virtues will definitely try - i must tell you this i was amazed at the led light i have just put in so bright it is unbelievable - i know nothing new there Hermit crabs will be our first residents i was thinking about a starry blenny but after i heard it ate a clown fish Well what can you say it was 4 and a half inches and well built thanks again for your reply i need all the help i can get

saintsreturn

As usual, Dave hit many nails on the head. I share his comments on the sea hares. I have seen some successful with varients of slugs and cucumbers, but i still discourage most of them as there diet is different than what a lot of people typically supply.

One fish in the tank would be pretty short stocked for even your viewing pleasure. There are some awesome gobys or blennys out there that would be fine in the system and add some value as they go to work in your system and help keep it clean.

Or, if you love the idea of nems and clowns. Add more clowns to the mix. :D

Whatever you do, be sure to post pics so we can enjoy along with you

Uncle99

If you really like hermit crabs then great but keep in mind that they are opportunistic feeders and will try and eat anything they can catch!

I found them to always be trouble, somewhere down the road.

Eating snails is one thing, but one caught a clown in his claws by the belly

For more than 2 years now, I have banned crabs, and have not lost one thing!!!

cuttlefish

for thought back in the 80s i had a marine tank a 6 foot one i had just 2 fish copperbanded butterfly fish and a blue tang plus one hermit crab no live rock in those days and the coral was dead so i had pink and white hard coral with sand no issues at all all lived happy for some years things have changed an awful lot all brand new the hobby to me now
my new setup i have im putting a lot of thought into caves and hiding places i am starting with 4 hermit crabs the smaller variety hopefully 2 red legged and 2 blue legged i will be feeding them on veggies and flake as first in they will be little waste im going to give them plenty of shells i have been researching and they do have a bad reputation its like dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's create a balance i will see how it goes as 4 crabs will be the total two of each as anymore would create a gang when the tank matures a little i would like to add polyps clown fish plants and maybe a blenny or a goby which one no idea as yet that is still a work in progress they will be no snails or shrimps i do know sponges are a risk from crabs so i will be putting in plants to add colour to the tank