My new 500max led build

Whitey1973

ATM for me also, but I don't have a choice really I'm moving house and need to be out of mine by the end of the month, I'm going to upgrade to that RO unit you posted to me thanks for that, at just over a hundred quid it's a no brainier, I've just been on the computer ( yes I know I should be working!! ) and been doing a wish list!!!! Bloody hell I need to ask for some overtime !!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Don't worry once you get the basic set up like the RODI in place it will all calm down and you can just relax and enjoy the empty tank!

And that's when the fun and serious expense starts!!lol.

Get an ice bucket to soak your man bits in and then go shopping!

If you need a recommendation for corals in the uk - I get most of my frags from them and grow them:

http://www.mailordercorals.com

Last edited:

Whitey1973

I'm going to need a big bucket!!!

I'm going to give them a try I did see on your post when you brought 18 frags, very reasonable, my LFS in Kettering has some amazing corals and all in great condition

SPR

I'm going to need a big bucket!!!

I'm going to give them a try I did see on your post when you brought 18 frags, very reasonable, my LFS in Kettering has some amazing corals and all in great condition

They are very good. I'm about to buy another 15-20 or so and will post on my build thread in next day or so. I'm probably going mainly SPS now my phosphates are in check at around 0-0.03ppm.

Just make sure your in on the pre 12pm APC delivery slot or your stuffed. They start from around 8am or at least mine does so get up and ready early!

The LPS/soft grow quiet quickly so although I have purchased many from my LFS the bulk are from these guys. They come small but grow quick and I've hardly had any DOA and if I have they replace them on next order. You will save a fortune over the long term but just be prepared with an empty tank like a 500, well they will just look small. Be patient.

Whitey1973

Yeah I'm in for a shock how empty it will be but that's part of the hobby and fun watching it grow, I shall look forward to your pics, I'm loving the look of your tank! You should be proud of what you have achieved in such a short time...

SPR

Yeah I'm in for a shock how empty it will be but that's part of the hobby and fun watching it grow, I shall look forward to your pics, I'm loving the look of your tank! You should be proud of what you have achieved in such a short time...

Thank you Whitey for your kind words.

Just bear in mind I've learned all I've learned in around 16 months. From my first post when I'd been to the Maldives and decided to buy a 'marine tank' with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever. Zero not even Freshwater.

I have a lot of time on mine hands (self employed and very fortunate) so I've read and studied everything I could to learn and learn and I hope this will help others. I won't comment unless i know or have a good idea of what's what and if I can help you guys that's all good.

Whitey1973

I too am learning as this hobby has moved on miles from when I last had a tank.... under gravel filtration and a canister filter!!!
I appreciate all your help and I'm sure there will be loads more needed so be prepared
Thanks again

emvanburen

Looking great. I'm at day28 on my 650. I'm running my reactor off the chiller feed so it is tucked away in the back. Swapped the plug from that connection with the hose barb on the skimmer feed. Much cleaner. The Nyos rocks (thanks guys for the recommendation).

Whitey1973

Thanks, I'm looking forward to adding my fish tomorrow I think there in for a shock how much more room they will have, I will also be upgrading the skimmer asap and I have a rowaphos reactor going in after the ATM Colony has done its job... I'm not running a chiller so I too will use hose barb to feed reactor

SPR

What are you going to use to control nitrate. Nopox or one of the alternatives in a reactor or something ?

Also have you thought about which salt your going to use (and why) and how you're going to dose Alk etc ?

The reason I ask is because with certain salts, such as Red Sea Coral Pro, it includes raised Reef foundation levels. Their standard salt doesn't as it's designed for more control with daily dosing. I know because I ran Coral Pro for around 10 months and am now switching over to the standard.

Last edited:

Whitey1973

Hi mate... yeah I was planning on using no pox, I'll start it in a week when the ATM Colony has finished, as for alk and other stuff I shall test regularly and see what drop off I have, I will be getting a dosing pump soon but at the minute I've only got a frogspawn, hammer, 2 small acans, and a couple of small monti frags, I never went big on stocking my old tank as I knew I was moving, salt wise I've been using coral pro salt from the start, hoping to keep levels stable with weekly water changes until I can't anymore and need to dose
4c89bc4727b900777378c297f1805d36.jpg
bd87c07e846fb1a508578639394f53cb.jpg
4f89ccca13882b656bd657dd46ca0804.jpg
f716a9ec947688066a944cac2a3ac1be.jpg

Fish went in this morning [emoji1360][emoji1360]I don't really want to get anymore coral yet until the tank settles down but I am going to LFS today got my eye on a couple of fish I might add

Whitey1973

P.S.... corals have just been dumped in for now, need to have a think about placement

Whitey1973

Another question for you.... do the circulation pumps have a flow control on them? If so has anyone turned them down? I know flow is good but I want to angle them down more but don't want the sand to blow everywhere

emvanburen

Just the directional control. My sand stopped blowing after a few days and with some minor directional adjustment. Maybe the first wave of diatoms helped!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Another question for you.... do the circulation pumps have a flow control on them? If so has anyone turned them down? I know flow is good but I want to angle them down more but don't want the sand to blow everywhere

Yes they do. If you lift one out you will see an opening where the water enters the pump. There is a slider so you can adjust the size of the hole.

SPR

You will find the sweet spot with the directional jets. Just keep adjusting them over a few days / weeks and the sand will stop blowing around and will form shapes in the sand. I added some larger Coral pieces on the corners or were it's to powerful and that will also stop it.

I would set them to full power using the twister on the pump. Make sure you don't accidentally turn them down like I did after I cleaned them!

Whitey1973

I've just done a light feed as I'm still in the process of ATM Colony doing its stuff, I turned the main return pump off and left the circulation pumps on, when I turned return pump back on it makes horrible sounds and kicks up sand and produces loads of micro bubbles, is this normal? Do any of you do anything different?

SPR

As a matter of interest why did you turn the main pump off for feeding ? You don't need to infact I normally drop the food in front of the return nozzle so it blasts it around the tank for the smaller fish.

The return pump shouldn't produce bubbles although if I do a water change from the sump, and the pumps had air in, it will throw some bubbles/debris out when it first starts.

It shouldn't kick out sand unless you've got sand in the sump, which you might have if it's been blown around and if so you will need to clean it out of the sump.

I've got one of these for the very purpose of cleaning the bits out of the sump and use it now for water change most of the time. I basically empty the sump which contains around 4 x 27 litre buckets.

https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/s...no-spill-clean-and-fill-gravel-cleaner-7-5m-1