My Goniopora isn’t happy, ever!

Sacha

Hi there

We have had our Goniopora for about 6 months and at first it was super happy but slowly has started dying from the bottom up.
If has stopped receding but the polyps never come out any more.
We have moved it around the tank every couple of weeks to see if it likes a different spot with different flow and light but nothing seems to make it happy!
Everything else is the tank is super happy except it.

Please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! Many of us have had similar experiences with goni's I did - mine slowly went down hill after 6 months and I lost him at a year,,, I have read, they like less than pristine water parameters that we try to keep for our other corals.

See what others think... a few members seem to have success with them, but not most.

DaveK

This is a very typical result with Goniopora. It looks good for some months, declines and dies a few months later. At one time this coral was considered almost impossible to keep. Today I'd call it very difficult. By all means read up on them and try some things, but I don't hold out much hope. I would not recommend getting another.

Sacha

:rbwwelc:to RS ! Many of us have had similar experiences with gomi's I did - mine slowly went down hill after 6 months and I lost him at a year,,, I have read, they like less than pristine water parameters that we try to keep for our other corals.

See what others think... a few members seem to have success with them, but not most.

This makes me so sad!

Sacha

This is a very typical result with Goniopora. It looks good for some months, declines and dies a few months later. At one time this coral was considered almost impossible to keep. Today I'd call it very difficult. By all means read up on them and try some things, but I don't hold out much hope. I would not recommend getting another.

This makes me so sad! We are determined to bring it back to life. It seems to have stopped receding now and it just doesn’t want to come out like it used to. Not going to give up until it recovers or completely dies

Sacha

Ok I now suspect that I have an algae growth on the coral that needs to be cleaned off.
Any ideas how I do this? Can I just use a small toothbrush? Do I dip it in something?

DaveK

Yes, a small toothbrush will work well. Don't try to use any chemicals with it since they can damage the coral.