My Daughter bought me an outboard

Paul B

So for Father's day my Daughter asked me what I needed. Last year I lost the lower unit to my tiny outboard that powers my dinghy so I asked her to get me one of those.
I received it yesterday and it looks cool. My old one was 1 1/2hp and it was just about powerful enough for the two man inflatable dinghy so I figured a 2 3/4hp would be better.
I picked it from the internet and it took me a long time because virtually every tiny outboard is built in China and I try very hard to only buy US stuff. Of course they don't completely make any tiny outboards here or just about anything else but by luck I found one made in Florida. The powerhead comes from Japan but thats as close as I could get to made in the US.
The thing started right up and runs well for a toy looking thing. I have to be careful with it as it is not built like I would build it and has a lot of plastic on it that I would have made from metal.
After I discovered that it ran, I took much of it apart and replaced any steel screws I found with stainless steel. That cost me about a buck. The screws they make much of this stuff out of is the same hardware that you get from Home Depot and they are mystery metal that look like a cross between aluminum and chewing gum. We always called it "white metal" which is not really a strong material and hardly suitable to make screws out of.
You can use it to hang a picture of a Supermodel, a skinny Supermodel maybe but you should not use it for putting together an engine.
It always amazes me that they make this stuff and for another few cents, they could build it well.
I also greased inside parts and plugged them where I could with rubber stoppers so salt water doesn't get in. The thing states that it is built for salt water use but after looking at the screws alone, I doubt the rest of it will last in seawater.
So I did all I could to it right now and when the throttle controls croak, (which they will) I will re build those.
I don't know if anybody else re builds things when they get them, but badly made machinery makes me cringe.
But it is as good as it gets and for a small, cheap motor I like it. And the fact that my Daughter got it for me for Father's day, I like it even better.

Paul B

Good to see you too. You can see me again in this video collecting a crab. It goes with this thread because i got there using that ouitboard.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Cool outboard, you should try to make one out of a weedwhacker!

Frankie

RS STAFF
I got so use to the pristine beaches here in South Carolina I forgot what they are like on Long Island.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yeah there's an atmosphere about it that I miss.
I have fond memories of the North Shore and playing in that same mud.
Now I live down the block from the beach and hardly go there.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Paul B

Sometimes I glue gun that outboard to my back so I can swim to my collection site faster. Here is a picture. I am squinting because the hot glue hurts when you apply it.