My Biocube 29

TAMPATIM

Tank update: We survived Hirricane Irma with no damage or power loss. I was really concerned for the tank. Crisis adverted.

Now the cyano seems to be coming back a little in the sand and on one rock. I will do another water change tomorrow but at this point is chemiclean worth a try? Or something else as water changes don't seem to be working. Or do I just need to be patient? Thx

Blue Space

Glad to hear you're okay. I would just continue to do water changes. Your tank will thank you. It happens in young tanks. Siphon it out and increase flow. I use the ecotech MP10 in my bc29 and it's perfect. Every so often the speed increases to reef crest mode which is perfect for flushing out detritus from rocks and sand. Just don't blow your sand away with the PP4, idk if it has a variable run mode. Are you using 0 tds water to mix up salt or do you buy it at your lfs? Water source could also be a concern.

Last edited:

Uncle99

Along with mr tap waters water parameters, consider increasing ALK from 7 to 8.5 or 9 as you add corals Calcium and ALK may drop as corals calcify. Water temp 77-78 and maintain parameters. Watch Magnisium, if it falls below 1200 as ALK and Calcium won't stay put. Also PH 8.0 min to 8.4 max. If ya get Calcium, ALK, Mag, numbers within ranges specified, PH will be 8.3 as a result, provided you have good water/air mixing at the top, otherwise try a GFO to lower phosphates and this will provide the same affect on PH and limit a algae nutrient

TAMPATIM

Glad to hear you're okay. I would just continue to do water changes. Your tank will thank you. It happens in young tanks. Siphon it out and increase flow. I use the ecotech MP10 in my bc29 and it's perfect. Every so often the speed increases to reef crest mode which is perfect for flushing out detritus from rocks and sand. Just don't blow your sand away with the PP4, idk if it has a variable run mode. Are you using 0 tds water to mix up salt or do you buy it at your lfs? Water source could also be a concern.

I use the PP4 on wave mode. I can try to increase flow. Just have to figure out what won't move the sand.

I don't have a rodi filter at home but plan to save up and buy one eventually. I've been using distilled water. Should I switch and buy from LFS?

Blue Space

Not as good as rodi but people do use it as a low tds alternative. It's more expensive per gallon though. Good thing you're saving up for one.