My Biocube 29

Pat24601

fyi - you can add a @ sign and a username and it will call a member to a post like this...

@StevesLEDs Jeff is great at helping ! Congrats on the new lights, sunrise & sunset is cool !

don't know if it is of any help... but this is mine...

Typhon channels are as follows:

Ch1 - front white

Ch2 - front blue

ch3 - back white

ch4 - back blue.

Schedule is blues sunrise at 10am, whites rise at 10:30 am.

Whites sunset is 9pm and blues at 9:30.

Sunrise/sunset duration is 1 hour.……….

I'm kind of running default right now from the bluefish mini app.

So:

my morning starts at 9:00 and runs for 4.5 hours ramping up to 20% intensity for both white and blues over 90 minutes.

My midday runs for 2 hours ramping up to 50% both white and blues.

My evening is 4.5 hours in which the first 90 minutes is spent ramping down to 20% intensity for both white and blues and the last 90 minutes is spent ramping down to my night time settings.

My night time setting starts at 8:00pm and is 2% blues 0% whites. So, I just use my LEDs as my moonlights.

Keep in mind, I don't have fish of corals in my tank yet since I'm doing a reset. So, it's all just for show right now.

If I had corals, I'd probably shorten my morning and evening time to 2 hours from 4.5 hours with a 1hour ramp so they would have longer with 50%-60% intensity lights,but I'd play with it.

With Fish only, I may just leave it. It looks kind of cool changing intensity all the time. :)

I dunno. I'll be playing with it.

mr_tap_water

View attachment 47536
Here is the algae in the sand. It's pinkish/orangish/brownish. Can't get rid of it.
Saying it looks a bit pinkish and from what I can see it's quite possible it's Cyano you have there, I would try increasing the flow A bit more so you don't have no dead spots which is one of the main causes of this and keep siphoning off to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat24601

Saying it looks a bit pinkish and from what I can see it's quite possible it's Cyano you have there, I would try increasing the flow A bit more so you don't have no dead spots which is one of the main causes of this and keep siphoning off to.

Sounds likely to me too. Hard to tell from the pic, though.

TAMPATIM

Ok thanks. Might be a dumb question but what's my best bet to increase flow at the sand level? I have a Jebao PP4 running at 75% but it faces up to create waves. If I turn it up any higher the sand on the left side of tank will be blown away. Should I move the powerhead to the back and aim it to the front or should I get another powerhead?

Pat24601

That's what I feared. I don't see anymore in tank or on rocks. I do have small patches of green algae on a few rocks though. I'll take a better pick when the lights turn on...

I don't consider cyano that bad. I think we all get it at one point or another.

mr_tap_water

Creating the right flow is just trial and error so it's just about experimenting really until you find the sweet spot that suits your tank ,
sometimes having two smaller pumps rather than one big pump can create a more random flow pattern to.

TAMPATIM

Ok so I moved the Jebao to the back wall and I do see subtle sand movement across the front so this may be a better placement. I'll keep monitoring. Going to do another water change now and will syphon again. I'll test tonight and post parameters.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
on the cyano

we have all dealt with it, how often are you doing wc and what %? how big is your cuc? what do you feed & how much & how frequently? how many fish and what kinds? all play a part in overcoming it... and time for new tanks under a year old...

TAMPATIM

on the cyano

we have all dealt with it, how often are you doing wc and what %? how big is your cuc? what do you feed & how much & how frequently? how many fish and what kinds? all play a part in overcoming it... and time for new tanks under a year old...

20% WC weekly with purified/distilled water
3 hermits, 1 turbo, 1 conch, 2 astra, 4 nerite, and a nassarius(but haven't seen him in awhile) and a peppermint shrimp.
Feed frozen brine or mysis daily(one cube usually lasts 5 days)
Maroon clown and Valentini puffer
Up and running for 4 months...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
all that sounds pretty good... as the tank matures it should get better and the addition flow will help

you can knock it back by going lights out for a couple days... won't hurt your corals at all

TAMPATIM

on the cyano

all that sounds pretty good... as the tank matures it should get better and the addition flow will help

you can knock it back by going lights out for a couple days... won't hurt your corals at all

Only have one coral so far. I will add that prior to the LEDs I out in on Friday the CF lights were old. (I bought the tank used) I've read that can also be a problem with cyano and algae.

jennyrek

Would you say that it is better than a JBJ? Look at this beauty
3-JBJ-602-LED-Nano-Cube-300x250.jpg

I spent a lot of time reading... found all kinds of reviews.... like this one which says that BIOCUBE is the best...

TAMPATIM

Would you say that it is better than a JBJ? Look at this beauty
3-JBJ-602-LED-Nano-Cube-300x250.jpg

I spent a lot of time reading... found all kinds of reviews.... like this one which says that BIOCUBE is the best...

I can't compare to others as I haven't had them but I do like the Biocube. That being said I have made a lot of modifications. The lights aren't very good. I added a RetroFit LED kit. I also removed the bioballs and added an intank media basket. All in all I'm happy with the purchase so far.

TAMPATIM

Just retested water parameters. Getting a little better but still got some work to do...

SG 1.022
Nitrates 10-20ppm
Phosphate > 0.25ppm
Calcium 280
dKH 8/ KH 143.2ppm

Any suggestions on how to move SG/Calcium/KH up safely?

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Tampatim,
The settings of 1200 are the ideal starting point. Just follow the acclimation guide in the manual, and you can't go wrong.

Don't worry too much about the algae. After a few weeks the LEDs will starve the algae, and it will have a heck of a time growing when you get those phosphates down to a negligible level.

Channel 1 is Blue
Channel 2 is White

Hope that helps?
Jeff

TAMPATIM

IMG_1636.JPG the frogspawn frag seems to like it's new spot. This is the biggest it's looked since I got it.
Now I'm trying to decide what other corals I want. I think I'm attracted to LPS the most (not ready for SPS) I'm considering some plate corals or acans or brains for the sand. Can't decide yet what I want for the rocks. Any suggestions?

TAMPATIM

Full tank shot IMG_1635.JPG Sand looks much better after water change and siphon. Still trying to envision what coral I want in the right of the rocks. Maybe a small colony of something or a separate LR island covered in zoas. Or rock anemones. This hobby is fun but there are so many chooses it's maddening lol