My Anemone Split!!!!!

greene394

I was looking at my tank a little bit ago and I had to take a double take!!! My nem split! I had no idea it was even close to spliting! I am so excited, from what I understad is you have to have a very pristine system for one to split. Is this true?? Does this mean we are actually doing something right?
Here is a pic before it split...
2009_0305Newfishpics0008.jpg

And after split.....
2009_0415Newfishpics40056.jpg

2009_0415Newfishpics40073.jpg

2009_0415Newfishpics40072.jpg

I am so excited!!!:spinner: :dance: :whstlr: :thumbup: :bigblue:

greene394

I dont think it split from stress. This nem had gotten HUGE....we have been thinking for a while it might split....my tank is in good condition.

razorvines

Are you sure you just didn't buy two of them????

jk
No from what I have seen in my friends tanks, when they split it is because they are happy and growing! You are certainly doing something right. Maybe it's the urchin poop that helped.... LOL

lcstorc

They split when they are very happy or when they are stressed. AFAIK there is not really a way to tell the difference.
Enjoy the new nem.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Well, if you have bad water quality you know they are stressed. And if they move away from each other its likely to be stress. If they stay together and form a colony its more likely reproduction.

And if it is stress they are likely to divide again soon IME

Some nem species get very large and never split. Some carpets can get 6 feet across

greene394

Well mine has been in my tank for 5 months now. It has stayed in the same place, has grew, and has gotten some awsome coloration to it. IMO, witch may not be much, its happy. It looks really good. The new one is just on the other side of the rock and has not moved. Hopefully its happy. We just discovered our shrimp has molted, our leather is producing babies and our shrooms are spreading like crazy!! So I dont see how any of that can be happening with poor water quality. Thanks all! I am super exicted!

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Sounds like they are very healthy. The rule of thumb is 6 months to see if a nem is prospering. Host anemones are very sensitive to fluctuations in pH, so the use of kalkwasser or Ca reactors, or even 2 part calcium supplements may stress them. Its not just water quality.

But sounds like yours are doing very well. Good job, and congrats

greene394

Just wanted to let everyone know that my 2 nems look AMAZING this morning!!! Is there anything I need to watch out for?? Do I need to do anything special to keep them happy?? We are planning on waterchange Friday night. We did one Sunday night, just want to make sure water qualiaty is good. When should I try and feed?? I am still SUPER, SUPER excited!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo:

lcstorc

I would keep doing what you are doing.
If the nem is happy enough to split then you are on the right track.
I feed my RBTA krill, pieces of silverside, squid, and pretty much any seafood I am feeding the rest of the tank. Sometimes the clown feeds the nem but I always target feed to make sure.
Sometimes the clown will take the food away from the nem and then bring it back. She wants to be the one to feed it.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Sometimes the clown will take the food away from the nem and then bring it back. She wants to be the one to feed it.

I've noticed that myself on occasion.

I always move my hands very slowly in the tanks with my clowns, a good practice, and my female inspects the silverside very closely before she lets it get close to her nem

greene394

My clowns do the same thing. We drop the food right down at its mouth, the clown will take it way and then bring it back. They are so funny! I love the relationship a clown can have with its host. My smaller clowns groom the hammer coral and fuzzy mushroom. Its so cool to watch them take care of them.

greene394

Ok I am getting a lot of conflicting ideas about this anenome. Is it a LTA, like I have been told, or is it a BTA like others are saying?? Is it stressed or happy?? It has been in the same spot for 5 months now. Has a good routine. Comes out every morn, goes into his hole every night. Since the split, they both do the same thing. The nem are still in the same spot they have been in since the split. Not moving around at all. To me it looks healthy, they both look healthy, however I am getting a lot of conflicting ideas. Please give me some feedback. It will be greatly appriciated!