My 92gal mixed reef corner bowfront

So it's a new year and a new tank on the way :celebrate:

I got myself a 92gal bowfront in the back end of last year as i really like the look of them and how easily they tuck into the corner of a room. The only problem being that the stand that came with it would need scrapping and a custom stand building if i was to have it sumped. That and the fact my other half won't let me build the custom stand to accommodate the sump means I'm going sumpless on this build (for now).

I've managed to get the last of the 'dead' live rock I needed and now have around 80lbs in the tank. The rock I cured in the tank for several weeks with a large raw shrimp in there to encourage bacteria growth. After the first week I set to on testing the water to see if and what was happening and am pleased that after the ammonia spike, nitrite spike and huge nitrate spike I did a 90% water change and everything looks to be doing good now. I have been phantom feeding the tank with frozen foods and monitoring the params, and so far the ammonia and nitrite have stayed at zero. I performed another 50% water change about 4 days ago and have nitrates down to 10ppm.

I purchased a boyu HOB skimmer that has a rating of 1400ltr per hour, which is probably over rated, but I think it should be more than enough for my 350ltr volume. I had the skimmer running whilst curing the rock and through the phantom feeding to break it in. And after a lot of adjusting seem to have got it bubbling nicely now.

I'm currently running my lights for a couple of hours a day so I'm not watching a dark tank all day everyday. So far everything is looking good with no real 'bad' points to mention. No algae issues, params are staying where they should be, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10ppm, Ph 8.2.

I'll upload a couple of pics from my mobile so you guys can see how things are going so far. I'm just debating whether or not to rescape the tank though as I'm not quite happy with what I've done so far.

Here's where it all started, collecting rock from local reefers.

c809b550598b65a2a7a7da538da9cbca.jpg

And finally getting the scape together after the cycle

f53e1344cf42638fadc9ac97ae9ef122.jpg

daea59791f30b6d3aeca89edcc09c54b.jpg
b9a45f683b6e083ae506c914ab8172e0.jpg

0354767872af995500a8a07bdd7a239f.jpg

And yesterday I added a couple of additions, 2 scarlet reef hermits and 5 turbo snails just to keep things nice and clean.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

meknudson2

Great looking tank. The rocks look really nice, sometimes it takes a bit of time to get the right rock layout. Once you start putting stuff in it you might see a different way that might fit your preferences better.

Thanks for the replies :grouphug5:

I've been looking long and hard into what fish I'm wanting and have come up with a list of what I think will be a good start for a beginner. I'll be planning on adding them in this order depending on what you more experienced guys think or suggest. I'm very much open to criticism ;)

Starting with the first:
1 x firefish
2 x percula clowns
2/3? x carpenters flasher wrasse
1 x yellow watchman goby
1 x yellow tang
2 x bangaii cardinal

I'd love to get a green mandarin too but I've a feeling it would be a bit too tricky for me this early in the game, so maybe in a couple of years time :(

Coral wise, I'm still researching all the different varieties out there but I'm thinking I'll be best sticking with softies and some LPS. Once I've got a list together I'll be sure to post it for scrutiny.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
The list looks good (plus 1 on avoiding the mandarin) but if add the tang last.

What kind of lights do you have?

I love the rock work but you need to make sure you have good flow through and behind them so they don't turn into a dirt trap.

What are you doing for water movement? I hope you're going to say 2 mp 40 pumps :winky:

Oxylebius

I'm glad to see you are looking into and researching your options. It is a good combo of fish. But, I'm wondering if you have a screen top? Firefish are known to jump out of the tank (and some wrasses do as well), would hate to see you loose a fish b/c of this.

As @PSU4ME suggested, I also agree to stay away from the mandarin for the first year. And flow in a corner tank can be a little different from standard tanks, making sure you don't have dead spots (no or little flow) is important to consider.

My equipment list to date is:
Boyu dg-2516 HOB skimmer,
2 x Eheim streamon 3000 circ pumps,
APS 300w heater and 200w heater,
Marine life systems full spectrum LED's. (hanging on a diy brace)

I've got Vortech mp40's on my wishlist along with upgrading my LED's to the V2 iLuminAir 900's.

The flow is something I'm struggling with, I've been trying out the pumps in different places, facing different directions, at different angles, :banghead: but I still seem to be getting the occasional 'dead' spot. So I'm thinking of tearing down the aquascape and trying something a bit more open with more holes and open areas. Failing that I might need to rush on the mp40's, or that will be my excuse to the other half to get them sooner.

As for the top, I'm getting a fine mesh from my local hardware store this week and just need to make a custom brace to attach it to so it will sit nicely on the rim of my tank. Similar to this
http://www.sure-green.com/products/...ium=shopping&gclid=CMHY76CAjsoCFQbnwgodgOIB6A
stuff but clear/yellow instead of the green. That should keep those pesky jumpers in the water and out of my dogs mouth.

I must admit I'm getting a little more excited now too! My LFS has got, and is holding for me, a lovely looking firefish. Once I get this flow right and the mesh screen on top I'll be hoping to pick him up. Just a few more rescapes to go.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Mp40s will do a lot for that tank but you may wanna slip a power head behind the rocks so it pulls water in and out, it'll help it overall. The fire fish will jump as Oxy said but if it's your first and only, it may be ok if you "need" to pick it up from the pet store before the screen.

You're lighting is on the lower side for corals and you tank dimensions don't help! If you're adding corals before a lighting upgrade I'd look to stay on the low light side of corals if that's what you want. Although nothing wrong with waiting, letting the tank mature and the water Params stabilize before you add corals, thus way you can plan and get what you like!

So its time for another update.

I've been keeping an eye on my parameters and pleased to say everything is staying pretty stable. Ammonia remains at 0ppm, nitrite still at 0ppm, after a water change nitrates are down to 5ppm. The only one that seems to fluctuate is my Ph which ranges from 8.0 to 8.2.

I got round to changing the aquascape around a little, it doesn't really look that much different but I have made more larger caves at the bottom. And after endless hours of tweaking the position of my powerheads it seems that the flow is a lot better now.

c3af196eb93c3a385850fa91e1fc45c5.jpg

I'm still waiting on the fine mesh from the hardware store though, so a top screen is still to be made. I'm hoping to be able to at least build the frame today using some acrylic rods then I can cable tie the mesh to it when it arrives. I've got a clear perspex sheet for the top at the minute but hopefully this mesh will arrive soon.

On another note though....

1969af0ebbb7cd1a5459c8ed26f19bac.jpg

I've finally got some fish in the water! [emoji2] They all seem to have settled in well. I wasn't planning on getting the 2 clowns so soon, but I'm hoping with them being so small they won't add too much to the bioload. I'll be keeping a close eye on the water params.

Clint24

Looks like your off to a good start. Good luck & enjoy. Like others have mentioned, I would add the tang last. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've still not really got much going on, but thanks to the followers and all the advice so far.
My params are still in check, amm 0, nitrites 0, nitrates vary between water changes but tend to stay at around 5ppm.

I have how ever added
eff92e8d2009362b75a60db7884c830d.jpg
a reasonable sized amount of zoas and I'm hoping to get a couple of softies towards the end of the month.

Everything still looks to be doing well. Apart from I have spotted a couple of things that I could do with some help with ID'ing. I'm having a guess that the first pic is aptaisia but the second pic I'm pretty stuck.

10e235e6cb028b80f86d73a76e3ef933.jpg

At the moment I can only see one of these ^ it is very small (5mm at the most I'd guess) and is a nightmare to pic as it tends to close up quite rapidly.

1e98f0ce86ba4b98d1e8b893a9906288.jpg

I've spotted 3 of these ^ so far though and they vary in size, but again are fairly small.