My 60 gallon cube

Alex243

Started a 60 gallon cube roughly a year ago, four months in bottom cracked and lost most of the tank. Salvaged what I could and replaced the tank. Four months later, tank was cursed with Velvet(I believe) and lost most all livestock as in less than 12 hours of noticing it. Needless to say I learned a few hard lessons and am now prepared and quarantine all new fish.

Current tank set up now:
60 gallon cube
Sapphire cube 20 sump
Neptune system
Neptune Cor-20 return pump
Neptune ATK
Somatic 60S skimmer
HMO-300 Finnex Heater
Hydra 26HD

Livestock:
2 blue damsel
2 ocellaris clowns
1 LMB
1 Coral Beauty
2 Pajama cardinals
Handful of turbo snails and blue hermits

Frags:
Different types of Zoa's
Hammer Coral

Long tentacle anemone - was having issues with him attaching to anything.. stressed him out and he doesn't look too well but has greatly improved the past day since attached and feeding.
Mushroom

Water Parameters:
PH - 8.0 to 8.07
Temp: 78-78.5
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - <5
Phosphorous- 72ppb
Phosphate - .23 ppm
**edit forgot to do the conversion from Phosphorous to Phosphate**
Salinity - 1.026
Calcium - 500
Mag - 1300
DKH - 7.8

Pics to follow.

Last edited:

Alex243

Any advice/tips would be welcomed :)

Attachments

• IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! Best of luck with the restart ! Nice scape !

index.php

Uncle99

Welcome, yes this hobby can be a challenge at times, but just think, you are successful at something most people cannot do.

Number look good although based on you mag and Alk, calcium looks a bit high. With the three calcifiers, either run run them all in the high range or the lower range...you don't want to be high on one and low in another.

Mine are considered higher range:
Alk 10
Mag 1360
Cal 450

Your PH is also fine, and dont chase this number but if you find a way to keep it a bit higher, many believe calcification is faster, mine is 8.3, achieved through lots of surface churn....

Alex243

I'm not sure why my calcium is so high, I use the Hanna checker and thought that was inaccurate, verified that and tested with two other kits. I don't dose calcium and use only RO/DI water - so I'm guessing it is coming from the salt mix but have not confirmed this yet.

Working on getting my alk slowly up to the 10 ish range but doing it over time.

This go around is going fairly smooth, as for additional fish I was thinking of getting two long fair wrasses and one royal gamma basslet. This to much for the tank? I do water changes weekly since I have my own RO/DI system at my house.

What other corals do you recommend for easier to keep softies? Not a hard coral fan - I like my shrooms, hammers, xenia(except I won't get them with how they can grow). Corals that flow and move with water.

Edit - Was debating on adding a CO2 scrubber on my skimmer to help increase the PH especially during the night hours since I do not run a refugium. Otherwise I have seen greater stability just by having a higher alk.