My 29 gallon QT/Hospital Tank

Doot77

Congrats on the success so far. How did you like that treatment plan, I'm using the SeaCure treatment and I don't like how the dosing level it recommends (.15)isn't on my test kits results chart. I'm thinking of getting a different test kit that has smaller values, the API kit goes from 0 to .20 and isn't very different in color at the low values.
Aquarium Fish Medication: SeaCure Copper Treatment

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I researched the cupramine treatment and found it to be the most effective and less stressful to the fish. Cupramine is a completely different type of copper (complexed copper). I would not use anything else.

MI = marine ich
MV = marine velvet
Complexed Copper
The serious breakthrough came when the copper, instead of protected by a weak complex in the chelated form, could be chemically bonded to a protein molecule. In this case, the copper is still lethal to the MI and MV, but it keeps an arm's length away from affecting the fish. It resists complexing with carbonates making the concentration much easier to control and to get to remain steady. This copper form could now be used on any ornamental fish, and scaleless fish. This complexed copper is safe and yet effective at killing off MI and MV.

Leebca has created a thread with tons of info: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/saltwater-fish/23130-copper-treatment-use-problems.html

lcstorc

Glad things are going well with the qt.
How much longer till the fish can go back in the reef?
Glad they are getting adjusted and eating again.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks Lynn. As long as I do not see any signs of ICH, they can go back into the reef on 12-24... another 5.5 weeks.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Yay!! 14 day Cupramine treatment is over!!

I added a polyfilter to begin removing the copper from the hospital tank this morning. I took a few pics of them eating and made a slideshow.
They look/act great!!

Click to watch the slideshow :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I use water changes and polyfilters to remove the copper from my hospital tank.

From left to right: After a few days of Copper removal in my hospital tank; brand new; after several weeks use in my Reeftank.

PolyFilters-coppernewreef.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Update~

The fish have completed a 14 day cupramine treatment that has irradicated the ICH they had. I am watching very closely for white spots; too closely really..... A few times now I have freaked out when I thought I saw ICH but it was only a piece of debris/air bubble :rolleyes:

This week they are having a prazipro 7 day bath to deworm them. Three days into the treatment I saw long white/clear strings coming out of a clownfish and one of the neon gobies. I can only sumise that the medication is working! :thumbup:

Next week I will treat them with metronidazole bath.

So far they are very healthy and eating well. There has been no ammonia or nitrItes spike and weekly 50% water changes are keeping the nitrAtes under control.

Only 4.5 weeks to go before they can go back into the reef tank! :dance:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
:eek: First thing this morning I was doing a head count of the fish in the hospital tank and noticed the male picasso was missing. I finally found it in the overflow tumbling in the strong current against the sponge filter... he was alive!! Whew! :dance: :dance:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Update:

Multitesting (at leasst twice) daily for ammonia, nitrite, and copper (when treating).
Reefkeeper2 monitors the temp and PH.
Alkalinity and nitrAte are tested every few days and kept at 10 dkh / @10ppm.
  • 9-30-07; set up hospital/QT
  • 10-19-07; ammonia finally at zero
  • 10-23-07; nitrItes finally at zero
  • 10-23 thru 10-26 many, many water changes to get the nitrAtes down. They were OFF the chart!! 160ppm or more!
  • 10-27-07; began moving fish to hospital tank
  • 10-29-07; all fish have been moved to 55-60gal(29 tank + 30 sump) hospital tank
  • 10-30-07; added first dose of cupramine
  • 11-1-07; added second dose of cupramine and continued increasing until .5 ppm was reached.
  • 11-2-07; testing twice a day for copper and adding to keep the .5 ppm steady.
  • 11-3-07; 60% water change- added cupramine to replacement water to reach .5ppm copper
  • 11-10-07; 60% water change- added cupramine to replacement water to reach .5ppm copper
  • 11-16-07; 15th day of Cupramine treatment; added polyfilter to remove copper
  • 11-17-07; removed polyfilter; 60% waterchange; began Prazi-pro bath
  • 11-22-07; added 1st metronidazole bath(250 mg tablet per 10 gallons water)
  • 11-23-07; added 2nd metronidazole (250 mg tablet per 10 gal)
  • 11-24-07; 60% waterchange & added metronidazole to new water
  • 11-29-07; 60% waterchange; added carbon; reduced ammonia/nitrite testing to every 2-3 days
  • 12-1-07; 60% waterchange
All is well! No sign of disease :dance:

FYI.. I am on my 3rd bucket of salt. I think it is important to be prepared and I ALWAYS have 55 gallons of saltwater ready for use that is heated and aerated. Ya never know....

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Almost 7 weeks have past and now there are only 10 days until they go back into the reef tank!! :dance:
All is well!! No sign of disease and everyone is eating great :D

mps9506

Doni,
I gotta say you are a shining example of how to do things right in this hobby! You are a great example for any new or even seasoned hobbyist to follow.