My 29 gallon QT/Hospital Tank

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Re: My 25 gallon QT/Hospital Tank

Here ya go Billy! :)

Unfortunately, I have to look at this set up for at least 3 more months :eek: 1 month to cycle and at least 2 months to treat all my fishes. Not the prettiest set up but it serves a very, very important purpose. It will hold all of my fish during their ICH treatment.

You can see all of the AP test kits. I plan on getting Instant Ocean kits next. I will be testing ammonia, nitrite, ph, salinity, temp, and alkalinity daily. If I choose to treat with copper, I will test for copper also.

20071006hospitaltankoverflow001.jpg

The overflow doing it job very well (thanks Billy)
20071006hospitaltankoverflow005.jpg

Top-down shot of my lovely 25 gal Brute trashcan-sump ;) I have an airwand in there to aid in gas exchange. The return pump is a Mag 5. It does a very good job and the flow rate is perfect.

20071006hospitaltankoverflow002.jpg

Here is my DIY return
20071006hospitaltankoverflow004.jpg

Last edited:

Kazzy

Wow, nice looking QT. Mine is a 10 gallon with 2 PVC pipes in it.
I hope your tang pulls through. Achilles tangs are my favorite fish. Have any pictures for me to drool at?

Woodstock

RS STAFF

Thanks Grant :)

I can't believe it... I just ordered 90 bioballs!! A month ago, I would have bet a lot of money that I would never need to :rolleyes:
Too bad I threw my old ones away years ago...

Cheers to all the pack-rats out there! :clink: You folks know what you're doing ;)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM

I wish I had known Woody, I would have sent you mine. They are just sitting in the basement.

Woodstock

RS STAFF

At least you're smart enough to hang on to your balls.... LOL! When I get mine, I will too. :D

lcstorc

I could have given you a whole bucket of them when you were here. Unless Frank snuck behind my back and threw them away. I am the pack rat in this house. :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Yippie!! The nitrItes & nitrAtes are rising :dance: :dance:

Ammonia = HIGH
NitrIte = .25
PH = 8.2'ish
NitrAtes= 10ppm

To speed up the cycle, today I added 90 new bioballs to the 'sump' to provide more surface area for bacteria, another aged sponge from the main display, and replaced @ 20 gallons of water with aged reef water.

Bag of new balls
20071013MiscPics016.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Getting there...

Yippie! The ammonia finally dropped from "off the charts" 8.0 to zero :dance: It took 18 days for it to reach zero!

Lastnight (10-18-07) testing:
Ammonia = zero
NitrIte = .50
PH = ???
NitrAtes= off the chart

When the nitrItes fall to zero, I will do a 50% water change daily until the nitrAtes are at 10ppm or less. Hopefully, that will be this weekend. Then I will start putting the fishes in it! yay! This morning I placed the acrylic fish trap in the main display for the fish to get used to. I will begin feeding them soley from it until they are all captured.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Fish Trap~

I don't think catching all of the fish will be difficult ;) Less than one day and they are already going in and out without thinking twice :thumbup:

lcstorc

Everybody present and accounted for. That was fun. My cupid is getting big. I am so glad he is working for you.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Ordered a Digital Aquatics- ReefKeeper 2

I just ordered a new ReefKeeper2 for this hospital/QT! It will help me to monitor and control it! My fish deserve it :)