MP10 or MP40

tystank

Hi Guys,

I'm going to get a powerhead for my RSM 130 and have a question. If I get an MP40 can I turn it down enough that it wont blow everything around my tank? Or should I just get the MP10?

The reason I ask is that if in future I decide to upgrade to a larger tank I would like not to have to buy everything again but larger,so as I purchase upgrades etc I'm trying to think down the line for when I have a larger tank.

If for some reason any of you would go with a different powerhead by all means let me know it's just most people seem to choose Vortech but I'm open to suggestions.

Many thanks.

melvis

Hiya mate

I've got an MP10 in my C130, although it's not the W one that allows for connecting via WiFi and other MP10s etc. I went for this over the MP40 as I thought I'd add the wireless bit and then hook it up to another MP10 or MP40 if (or when...) I get a bigger tank, allowing for different wave patterns etc etc.

It's a cracking unit and only having a small wet part means less obstructions inside the tank, easier cleaning and less heat in the water. The new quick drive (QD) ones are meant to be a lot quieter, although I struggle to hear anything from the old model I've got tbh.

Others will know more on the power output of the MP40 and whether it can turn down enough.

tystank

Hiya mate

I've got an MP10 in my C130, although it's not the W one that allows for connecting via WiFi and other MP10s etc. I went for this over the MP40 as I thought I'd add the wireless bit and then hook it up to another MP10 or MP40 if (or when...) I get a bigger tank, allowing for different wave patterns etc etc.

It's a cracking unit and only having a small wet part means less obstructions inside the tank, easier cleaning and less heat in the water. The new quick drive (QD) ones are meant to be a lot quieter, although I struggle to hear anything from the old model I've got tbh.

Others will know more on the power output of the MP40 and whether it can turn down enough.
Thanks Mate,
I was going to go with the MP10 as I have heard alot of good things about it and if I do decide to upgrade I can always just add another one.

I have been going through some old threads and was looking at Glenns Reef.Have you seen it? He has done a great job and the tank looks great a very clever man.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
an Mp40 would be a lot in a 34 gallon tank, but your logic is sound if you plan an upgrade... they are totally adjustable

tystank

an Mp40 would be a lot in a 34 gallon tank, but your logic is sound if you plan an upgrade... they are totally adjustable
Thanks for the input.
I have just been talking to Melvis about your thread Glenns Reef.I have been reading through it and it's very impressive and very informative.I must say you've done a wicked job with it and it looks great...

melvis

What swung it for me was the size inside the tank and the reduced heat transfer, as I didn't want to have to fork out for a chiller.

Yeah, it's certainly an impressive tank. Just had another quick look now and a very tidy Steve's LEDs installation...hope mine looks as good. That bloody branching hammer though, never seen anything like it and obviously loves the conditions. A great bloke too and has been a real help throughout my journey over the last 12 months.

tystank

What swung it for me was the size inside the tank and the reduced heat transfer, as I didn't want to have to fork out for a chiller.

Yeah, it's certainly an impressive tank. Just had another quick look now and a very tidy Steve's LEDs installation...hope mine looks as good. That bloody branching hammer though, never seen anything like it and obviously loves the conditions. A great bloke too and has been a real help throughout my journey over the last 12 months.
I know what you mean I have looked at a couple of chillers and my god they can be expensive,so a wise move on your part.I'm gonna go with the advice and get the MP10 and see how it goes.

What's in your tank? Have you got a FOWLR or reef?

melvis

I've got a Red Turf Algae farm in mine mate!

Although, I think somewhere in the tank there are some fish, corals and live rock....;)

tystank

I've got a Red Turf Algae farm in mine mate!

Although, I think somewhere in the tank there are some fish, corals and live rock....;)
I was just looking.I noticed the thread after I asked the question.
It looks good mate and to think you have only been at it a year is cool.I do like the pics..

melvis

LOL, thanks mate. It's not quite where I envisaged it being after a year, but then again, I suppose it's not that bad either. I think that when I get the next tank, I'll stick to the 'plan' I originally had a bit better. I got a bit carried away with corals and my plan for creating something similar to the tank in the link below went out the window.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/9/aquarium

If I could get rid of the red turf algae and then work on the aquascape so I've got some ledges I'll be happy until I move house and upgrade to a bigger tank in the next 18 months. How's yours coming along?

tystank

LOL, thanks mate. It's not quite where I envisaged it being after a year, but then again, I suppose it's not that bad either. I think that when I get the next tank, I'll stick to the 'plan' I originally had a bit better. I got a bit carried away with corals and my plan for creating something similar to the tank in the link below went out the window.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/9/aquarium

If I could get rid of the red turf algae and then work on the aquascape so I've got some ledges I'll be happy until I move house and upgrade to a bigger tank in the next 18 months. How's yours coming along?
That's a great looking tank but your gonna have to move to a massive house.
Mines going OK thanks for asking,I'm just concentrating on testing and understanding nitrates etc but I am enjoying it greatly.I try to add something small each week and then read up on something else before adding that,as I would hate to stock it and it all get wiped out and have to start again.

You can see how people get carried away,if I had a massive house and a spare 10K I would be in my element but as I said before little steps for me.The other thing that makes it a great hobby are the people and the willingness to help anyone new.Take us for instance never met and chatting away happily.If we had met on the Central Line it would take six months to muster up a conversation.

I did get a small clam and starfish the other day and they are really cool the wife and kids love them,but this weekend is cleaning and water change.I am having a little trouble with Nitrates being high at 25ppm so am going to work on that.

Have a good weekend
Ty

melvis

Absolutely, it's one expensive hobby but then again, all mine seem to be like that lol. I've got my eye on a Neptune Apex controller as well, but might have to get the missus something decent first....you know, to balance it out lol! ;-)

This website is definitely one of the best. Had a look on Ultimate Reef which seems to be a Brit dominated one and tbh, I thought a lot of people sounded like they were not far away from an argument with each other (some themselves lol). You're absolutely right about the Central Line too.

If you're struggling with nitrates, you might want to take the big black sponge out and give it a good rinse in RODI water. Those things can be nitrate factories as I was told about a while back, so I make sure that at least every two weeks I pull it out and give it a clean. Might be worth doing a quick succession of bigger water changes. Do you do about 10% a week at present? If so, try upping to 20% for one week, test and then see how they are standing you in at. Other thing to do is get your LFS to double check your water, I did that once before and was shocked at how far off I was lol.

tystank

I heard the same thing about the filter and so do as you do,I was also going to up the water change but do one a week for a couple of weeks to see how it goes.Im going to my LFS in the morning so will do as you say and take a sample,he's a good bloke and will gladly check it for me.

Im gonna order the MP10 also and see how that works hopefully it will help clear any detritus that is lurking behind my rock.I did read up on the Neptune and it is a good bit of kit and loads of LFS use them so they must be pretty good.It's also one of those things that when you upgrade you can transfer and don't need to purchase a bigger better model.