Moving T5's closer to water...

TylerHaworth

Do you folks think I would suffer any ill effects (bleaching) if I were to move my T5's about 2 inches closer to the water? They are currently about 4 inches from the surface, and would be lowered down to ~2 inches above the surface of the water?

Should I shorten my photoperiod if I do?

TylerHaworth

Not so much worried about the height, but more so the height change... I think I'll shorten my photoperiod by a couple hours just to be on the safe side

EmagdniM

I dont think dropping them 2" will cause you to need to change anything...just drop em and leave things as is mane.

Tangkeeper13

I had 2 48" 8 x 54w t5 fixtures over my 450 gal sps tank that were about 6" off the water.. i actually moved them up 2" and got better growth and color.. the tank was 96" l x 24" t x 36"d ... man i miss that tank

No I don't think it will have an affect on your corals it just as if you put brand new bulbs in when the old ones were dying out it won't hurt or bleach your corals it may affect your coraline on the higher pieces of rock work but the only thing I would worry about is over time water will get on your bulbs and affect your light intensity so if you want to prevent that wipe your fixture every two to three days with a wet rag this will prevent and salt to collect on your fixture and or bulb!!!!