moving full tank???

stevelias

I was given. A bigger over flow for more water turnover, but my tank is too close to my wall. I just need to move the tan 1 inch. 75gallon. Can it be done?

MrX

(75 * 8) + weight of rock + inhabitant weight + weight of equipment + tank weight + stand weight = bad idea to try and move.

You need to move as much as you can into a temporary home (buckets, stock tank, etc.) with adequate flow and heating, drain as much water as possible, remove as much rock as possible, and only then move it.

1" or 1 mile; same process.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah trying to move it could be a bad idea. If you tweak something and weaken it, it's only a matter of time before it fails.

Cut the wall!!

Ya , king of figured. Thought i'd ask. Thankyou all

I've moved my 60g multiple times fairly easy when I ran into the same issue. Your math is wrong as well.. Your live rock and everything inside the tank has taken most of the weight out of the tank for you. My 60g tank drains almost half way down with 15g of water.. Drain your tank as much as you can with the fish inside.. Corals and such will be fine as they go through this frequently during low tide in the ocean.. You should keep all the water you drained when you do this. Once your finished you can move the tank fairly easy being careful not to lift to high.. It doesn't take alot to damage the stand when doing this but depending if your on carpet or flooring will determine how much fun you going to be having.. I'm on carpet so I had a friend help me just barely lifting and scooting it little by little one side at a time. If your not on carpet I'd imagine you could really just slide it one side at a time.. This also be good time to level your tank if its unlevel while your already there. When I did mine I learned what a blue tang sounds like haha.. They make this funny grunting sound it's hilarious.

puffermike

Get some bins and drain as much water into them as you possibly can. The tank won't weigh nearly as much without the water in it. Take out any rocks that look like they could come crashing down as well. If you're fast enough you don't have to worry about aerating the water you're temporarily storing. It should be fine for a couple hours. Moving it an inch is going to call on some serious man power if it's just you. If you're on carpet you can slide it one corner at a time. It will be a tedious process of back and forth from left to right but it will work fine. If you're on hardwood I'd suggest wedging "EZ Sliders" underneath it so you don't scratch the floor. It's not as hard as people make it out to be. I've shimmed and moved a 150G tank an entire foot using this process. It just takes some time. Having a friend would make it really quick.

Just remember to be safe about the entire process and double check to make sure nothing will fall inside the tank while you wedge it away. Once it's in the place you want it just start pumping the water back into the display and you're good to go.

Here's a link to the sliders. Without the water in the tank they will work fine.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/ez-sliders-8-piece-furniture-moving-set/1014650628

stevelias

Just moving tank... Not stand. I have plenty of room on my tend. I built it strong enough to hold a car. Lol.

DaveK

People have moved tanks that are partly full. It can be done, but in my opinion your taking a big risk. If you do decide to try this sort of a move, even if it's only on the stand, have a "plan B" ready, just in case the move goes bad, and the tank breaks, or splits a seam.