Most unique dives?

tomr33

i have been lucky enough to get certified with my dad in 2006. When my dad got certified he went a little over board because he loved the underwater world so much with it being so beautiful and peaceful. After we got certified we started traveling all over from Cozumel mexico to the Turks and Caicos multiple times...i have over 800 logged dives to this day but thats not my true amount that just dives that i actually wrote down in my dive log. in actuality i probably have somewhere around 1500 dives to date. i was very fortunate to be able to do this with my dad. we also have been to Saba a small island right across from St. Martin, Bonaire, Cancun Mexico and we have been all over Florida diving from off shore in St Pete to West Palm Beach to the Keys.

I would have to say my favorite diving was in Saba. I loved the island and all the people. The island only had 2500 people and there was only 1 road that ran from one side to the other and it took about 45 mins.The diving was way different than any other place i have ever dived before. It was mostly deep water diving and the bottom had a black sand and very very dark brown sand. It was very different because we dove on outcrops that were just piles of old volcano eruptions that formed small islands under water and most of them we dove on the top started around 120ft down to the base on some were 2000ft plus.
My other favorite place is Cozumel Mexico. My dad has taken me there 5 times diving and every time i saw something different. we would go for a week at a time and do 3 dives a day.

Diverjohn

Cara a Cara in Roatan. Great shark dive along with a lively moray that will swim out between a divers legs. Also like the barrel sponges big enough to fit inside, no I haven't tried. Last year in Roatan I was stuck to snorkeling after picking up a sinus infection right before going, had two eagle rays come to the surface and investigate me. None of the divers had seen them.

Eagle Ray City in Cozumel where you sit on the bottom and watch squadrons of rays fly overhead.

Paul B

I was certified in the 70s and probably 3/4s of my 300 or so dives have been here in NY for lobsters with a few shipwrecks. But one tropical dive I remember was in I think Mexico someplace. I was with a few other people and I noticed a huge green moray eel. They are very common but this one was about 10 or 12' long so I pointed it out to this guy behind me. The guy, not to intelligent, thinking he was Jacques Cousteau swam up to this thing and tries to tickle him under his chin. The eel, who probably never met Mr. Cousteau, takes this guy's hand in his mouth all the way up to his elbow. He was shaking him back and forth and I was hoping the fish would swallow him whole so I could continue with my dive, and when I got back to the boat, I could say "Hey, what happened to Bill, Jim, Larry or whatever his name was". But the blood swirling around him and the fish attracted other divers so I had to look surprised and help this genius. So I waited for the eel to spit him out and helped him to the surface. Now we had a 3 hour boat ride to a Mexican hospital, then a 4 hour wait there for them to stitch him up. Then a long ride back to the resort where I had to hear for the rest of the week how this "hero" was attacked by a man eating eel. :waa:
That was one memorable dive but I do remember a few others.

gpdno

Most unique dive was off the coast of Ireland. Water was bloody cold 48f. The dive master had befriended a female Conger Eel. Biggest darn eel I've every seen. Made those green morays look like minors. Sat on the bottom at about 20' feeder her herring for about 20 minutes and freezing my but off. My lips were blue and I couldn't feel my hands or feet but it was great fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jaws789832

1990 Off the Santa Barbera coastline in the kelp forests. Ran into a sand shark and a dolphin who befriended me. all the while my stupid dog was on the surface following my bubbles around. It was great fun and that dog was amazing. She would swim through the breakers to follow me around while diving.

Snid

Amazing stories! I need to get scuba certified. My most unique dive to date is the belly flop I did off of a 2-story high dive when I was a kid. Red from head to toe.

Best snorkle story I have is when I was in Maui, following a sea turtle, mesmerized, not paying attention to where she was leading me. When I noticed that I couldn't really see the bottom of the ocean any more, I rose my head out of water and discovered that I had swum out to open sea quite a ways. Lucky for me the tide was coming in I think, and I pretty much just coasted my way back to shore. It looked to be a good 5-10 miles out. Lucky for my wife I made it back too, because I proposed to her later that week.