Most unique dives?

MrPex

I was lucky enough to get certified while in the Air Force in Guam. Got to do a Japanese Val Dive Bomber shot down in WWII and ran into a real "tour" submarine full of people on the same dive... I wonder how many pictures I'm in now? lol...

Probably the other unique dive I got to do that I'll probably never get to re-live is a night dive off of Kraan Island in the Persian Gulf. Tons of bioluminescent jellies and plankton... even 60 feet down, if you waved your hand in front of your face with your flashlight off, you'd see purple flashes everywhere! Oh ya, and seeing the outline of the dolphins in the glowing plankton was incredible!

Anyone else have any really incredible stories?

Umm Diving the Cooper river is always sorta spine tingly for me lol. A few knots of river current and very low vis, lol definately an experience

TeamReefWreck

diving WPB Florida every weedend its the best thing ever. The water is crystal clear, warm is full of life. Spear fishing, lobstering, seeing bait geting busted on the surface, or just catching tropicals is a great time.

scubamattv

Yes, cooper river is an eerie dive.. especially the ascent. I also loved my dive off the Kona coast with the Manta Rays. It was my 2nd dive after being certified and it was a night dive. We had ~14 huge manta rays swimming around us. I've logged almost 300 dives since then and it is still one of my favorites.

ChrisJan

I would have to say that the most interesting dive i have had was with a whale shark here in Okinawa, Japan. I guess I will have to go dig up some pictures from the dives here.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Snorkeling in Hawaii. Sure, not a dive, but bring some wonder-bread and you're surrounded by fish. Spray cheese works too!

The coolest snorkeling trip in Hawaii for me though was not diving with the sea turtles or unicorn tangs, but rather ten feet off of the shore from the St. Regis Hotel on Kauai. I was snorkeling in the shallows, waiting for my brother to run into the warm water. The Rock was scratching my stomach, and the waves were gently rocking me back and forth. As I looked directly below me, the smaller fish were dashing in and out of the ancient maze that was the petrified SPS skeletons. As I hovered above the labyrinth, a massive school of more than 500 green chromis lazily drifted into view. As I slowly followed them, they quickly dashed from side to side, though the school itself was moving forwards as a whole. All at once, they shot off to my right, gone.

Oh Hawaii. Has it only been two years? I'm looking forward to December...

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Atlantis resort paradise island dive. 2 miles out only 30 feet. So many fish n Corals that I have on full display! Id do it again in a minute.

As for Atlantis? All serious reefers would love the resort!

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

Waya

I second crystal river!!! And a couple of wrecks off the coast of St. George island in Flordia.

N83259

+1^ on the Mantas off the KonaHI coast. Very cool. I was there for several weeks and did the dive several times. On one night I decided to look at the bottom (it's a shallow dive) for some reason and saw what looked like a sea serpant slowly swimming near the bottom. At first I thought it was a giant eel. This was in 1999, but my first impression was that it must have easily exceeded 15 feet. A guy on the boat called it a "Gigantivas." A few years later I saw something similar in National Geographic magazine and am now convinced we saw a Giant Oarfish. I can now appreciate how sailors of old thought they saw sea serpants! It was huge. Hawaii (big island) is awesome. Not much real reef structures but incredible inverts & fish, sea turtles a-go-go & it's all a short boat ride from shore.

I have predominantly dived in the Maldives (Indian ocean). The most memorable was a sunrise dive to specifically see Hammerhead Sharks.

The dive was well away from any reef. No reference points, just swimming to a compass bearing.

We saw feck all!!

Actually my most memorable moments have been snorkelling and not actually diving.

lbiminiblue

I was lucky enough to get certified while in the Air Force in Guam. Got to do a Japanese Val Dive Bomber shot down in WWII and ran into a real "tour" submarine full of people on the same dive... I wonder how many pictures I'm in now? lol...

Probably the other unique dive I got to do that I'll probably never get to re-live is a night dive off of Kraan Island in the Persian Gulf. Tons of bioluminescent jellies and plankton... even 60 feet down, if you waved your hand in front of your face with your flashlight off, you'd see purple flashes everywhere! Oh ya, and seeing the outline of the dolphins in the glowing plankton was incredible!

Anyone else have any really incredible stories?
Crashed airplanes in Bimini, 40+ foot concrete vessel in about 35 feet of water, blue hole in great harbor.....that's all i can think of really...

Oxylebius

Well, there are several dives that stand out for me as unique.....

One was in Monterey Bay, CA. I was conducting research diving dusk and dawn during the harbor seal breeding season. There was a harbor seal rookery nearby and these seals are very curious and would come up to bug my buddy and me during most of our surface swims through the kelp. On some of the dives they’d also bit my fins and pull me backwards. But, one dive in particular stands out. I was diving at dusk in about 45 ft of water and it was getting very dark, I had no lights lit as I was floating motionless in the water column, swaying in the surge, watching a particular benthic fish for behavior, all was quite and I was concentrating on when to take down the light lumens levels on my slate when all of a sudden I felt something large come up beside me and grab onto me. I startled as you can imagine and I’m sure that bubbles blew everywhere as I let out a little scream into my regs and turned to see what had grabbed onto me and was still holding onto me. It was hard to see and I was struggling to get a hold of my light to turn it on when all of a sudden I was able to dimly see two large black eyes of a harbor seal looking into my mask…..

On another occasion, same location, day dive, I saw something swimming through the kelp coming towards me, it wasn’t a fish of any sort, it was kinda awkwardly swimming actually and I had no idea what it was. I watched it swim right by me and only after it had passed me did I figure out it was a cormorant. So funny to see it swim underwater with its feet and wings!

A very calming experience occurred in Two Harbors, Catalina, CA. In the summer months there is a cove of calm shallow water that attracts pregnant female leopard sharks. These sharks were anywhere from 4-5 ft in length and would bask during the daytime hours. I often slowly snorkeled above them and observed them, it was lovely. Okay, that wasn't a dive, but I usually snorkeled after coming back from a day of diving ;)

For coral dives, the most spectacular that I have seen was at Lighthouse Reef, Belize. So, so many things to see it was overwhelming! Color, health, full of life and movement – simply spectacular!

I did a shark dive 45 miles off the coast of RI with Makos and Blue Sharks. It was a lot different from the shark dive I did on St. Martin.
Blues and Makos do not often see divers and they were much more curious.

sawcjack00

I dive Looe Key in the Florida Keys national marine sancuary on a regular basis since it's basically my back yard. We regularly see several diferent shark species (black tip, caribbean reef, lemon, bull, great hammerhead, nurse) and this past November I saw a manta ray which is very uncommon for the area. They are only seen here when the gulf stream is extremely close to the reef which it was that day.

Most unique dives would be the Blue Hole in Belize, and shark feeding in Bahamas with Stuart Cove.

jessiemcadams

Whoa I wish I could experience such kind of dive, well I have been diving for two years and I'm hoping to explore more diving spots

turtlekid99

Wow all these stories are so great, I'm going to scuba camp this summer for a month with action quest so that will defiantly be an experience. :)

Creekview

I started scuba @ age 16 in Ft. Lauderdale. Spent 4 years working part time for a dive shop. Got to dive all over the Bahamas, Jamaica, Cozumel, Dry Tortugas. Became a PADI certified dive master and search/recovery diver. My most unique dives were working for a NASA contractor recovering the space shuttle solid rocket motors from 1981 to 1984. Our job was remove the chutes, put a plug in the nozzle of the rocket, pump the water out, and hook a tow line to it. When we weren't working a launch, we were contracted to various government and other organizations. They eventually switched to using ROVs to do what we did, which was very hazardous.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_recovery_ship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:STS-116_rocket_boosters_(NASA_KSC-06PD-2794).jpg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbtulv0mnlU

Changed jobs and worked in shuttle assembly. Was called back to work the Challenger disaster recovery efforts in 1986.