Mixing Tangs

suspiria2

I have a small (3 inch) kole tang that has been in quarantine for a couple of weeks and is ready to go into the DT. I would like to add 1 or 2 tangs in the relatively near future and would like to have the Kole in the DT first unless it would cause major problems.
Should he be kept in quarantine with any new tangs so that they can all be added together. This would probably mean dividing the QT tank
The DT is a Red Sea Max 650 with about 10 fish in it currently and 150lb of rock. The tank is 4-5 months old.

I was thinking of getting a Sailfin and Powder Brown to add and would rather add them in stages if possible.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences related to this?
Any input would be greatly appreciated

Pat24601

I am in serious Tang Police violation. I don't even talk about it on these boards because I know I am. So, keep that in mind.

I have 2 Tangs in my *250*. My LFS said it would be fine, but I know MANY experts on forums like these would say that's a no-no. With your tank size, I would think it would be considered OK.

My LFS did say to add the second Tang at night after the lights went out. They made a big point of that. The first Tang had been in the tank for nearly 2 years so adding them together wasn't an option. They also said the type of Tang very much matters and you should only do this with different "types" of Tangs.

Not sure I would know what is considered different types, but they seemed to feel mine (Yellow and Tomini) were OK.

Anyway, it's worked out very well for me so far. The Tangs get along great with each other and all my fish.

That said, I know what I'm doing wouldn't be considered recommended at all by many people in this hobby. So, I'm not recommending it. Just stating my experience in case it's helpful.

Last edited:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think space wise you should be good. I'd add the sailfin last but definitely treat the PB fir ich.

Tangs are very messy which I'm sure you know. Great algae grazers though. Best of luck!

DaveK

I don't see a problem with two tangs in a RSM 650. You could add them at different times. There is always something of a risk, so have a plan foe one of the tangs, if things don't work out. Usually the more different the tangs are, as far as coloration, body shape, and so on, the more likely they will be able to coexist. There are a few species, such as a clown tang that tend to be really nasty. Be sure to do your homework first.

Do quarantine your tangs, and other new fish as they can be notorious "ich magnets".

I wouldn't go above two tangs, so choose carefully.