Mixing reef tanks - fish advice

saintsreturn

Hello All,

I am about 2 days away from bring home my "new" 130g tank. I am going to have it in the garage for a couple of weeks while i replace the plumbing, clean it up, and a bunch of other stuff. The issue at the moment is it is fully stocked and we are trying to figure out options before adding undo stress to the residents.

My 75 will remain online while i do the maintenance on the house and new tank. It is filled with 75lbs LR, sand and the following:

Cleaner Shrimp
Black Oscelar...
Sail fin
Green Chromis
2 Pajama cardinals
purple dotty back
Fairy Wrasse

The new tank has 130 lbs rock, sand and the following:
Wyoming White Clown
Sand sifting goby
Bi color pygmy angel
puffer (so far reef safe, dont jump on that please)
Fairy wrasse

I am going to turn in my green chromis and maybe the cardinals, depending on the wife's input.

I am also taking out all the rock from both systems that the coral has not fully attached to yet and putting them in a system to keep it alive while i work through the changeover. The sand will be stored in a bucket until i get around to rinsing it and restocking it.

I want to keep as many fish as i can for the new tank, but it is going to be a while before they all get moved over.

What other fish combinations throw concerns for you (besides the puffer)?

Reactions: SPR

saintsreturn

Thank you sir. It is going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. I am torn on the clowns and wrasses. Especially since he wants his wrasse back later and I want mine LOL

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I’ve never had a puffer fish, for the simple reason I always set out to have a piecefull Reef tank and had fish with that sort of temperament, but I would have really liked one if it would fit in, but it won’t so....

My son had my old Max E260, and had a puffer fish, and that’s all he had because it ate anything he added, well apart from the rubber corals! Lol. It was like a cute little puppy fish though!

I’ve got 2 clowns and about 4-5 different wrasses and they all get on, but I’ve done some research before adding any new tank mates just to try and pick up and potentiall issues.

Anyway, it’s exciting times for you and make sure you do a build thread

saintsreturn

Thank you both. So as an update...

I just added them all to my 75 and keep up on the skimming, feeding and water changes while i finish the new build. (almost done!)

After way to much observing, the only issue i have had so far is the Wyoming White will not stop messing (or visa versa) with my black osc...

Their fins are fin and i have not seen any damage to either, but its a full time back and forth with those two. I pulled the WWC and put him in an acclimation box to try to sell, but i had no takers. So i dropped him back in and back at it they went.

So when i do the full transition, he will go to store credit. Wife likes our blemo way more than the WWC, so there is that.

All in all, everyone else is doing great and the puffer has been calm with no coral eating.

Good times :D