milky white growth, is it algae?

nunlef

I have this growing in 3 places on some DIY rock that I put into a tank recently. While in the curing process, I did not notice anything like this.

The rock is currently under CF lighting, water param are 0,0,0 (only checking for the basics, no livestock yet). The cycling process has yet to start, just introduced it to an indoor heated environment 5 days ago. The tank is a 48g, no sump or filtration. DIY rock with 1 small piece of "live" rock from my other tank.

I cured the rock in a styro container with lid, outside, in SW for about 3 months. It received a water change using my old water (from existing tank) about once a week. I have nothing like this growing in my existing reef tank.

100_4576.jpg

nunlef

that growth began BEFORE I added live rock. It is actually subsiding now, and there is a blue tinge to the rock underneath.

I have a large hermit crab in that tank, and he's doing fine, so I'm guessing whatever it is, it's not toxic.

thanks

nunlef

if I saw it on food, I would assume mold. The pic isn't that great, but the white stuff does have a fuzzy quality to it.
Almost like if cyano covered hair algae, and then was a translucent white.... idk, I won't be adding any fish until I figure it out, or it totally goes away.

johnmaloney

looks like a fungus or bacteria thing like said ^^ did that rock have a lot of die off with low flow? that does it...it could also be chysophytes...

lzrlvr

hi I think I have the same kind plague but I use a 1/4 inch air tube to siphon it off during my weekly water change I remove as much as possible from the rock glass and the immobile invertebrate that live in my tank .