milky water

Status
Not open for further replies.

plique

we just started our tank. we added the salt , live sand and coral now the water is milky, so much that you cant see the back of the tank. Is this normal ?? if not what should we do ???? thanks

Brucey

Plique .... do not worry about it. In 24-48 hours it will have cleared and be fine, it is just the salt in suspension along with the sand being stirred up. Just keep the circulation going (Power heads or return pump), keep your skimmer turned on if you have one and everything will be fine. You may even start to see an improvment in 6 hours time
Brucey

Cougra

What kind of corals have you added to the tank? Exactly how long has your tank been set up? If it's only been up a couple days and you ahve live corals in the tank, I would recommend that you bring them back tothe LFS. Your tank needs to cycle before you can start adding delicate creatures in the tank.

Could you please provide us with more information on the tank and set up? What kind of lighting do you have? What size tank do you have? How long have you had the water in the tank?

What are your water parameters at the moment? Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Calcium, pH, Alk, temperature?

Also a milky white appearance in the water could be caused by a bacterial bloom due to high levels of ammonia in the tank.

The more information you can provide the better off we'll be able to help you and your animals out.

Brucey

Cougra .... I sort of got the impression that everything had just been added, but if your right and it's been up for a few days then you are correct in calling in the info needed. Plique .... how long since you added the sand, salt etc. If it is very recently, my post stands, if however it was a few days ago and you've just added corals, then look to Cougra's post for the Q&A. PS, You should be waiting quite a while before you even consider adding corals, most corals need an establish tank to get their nutrients from
Brucey

It seems to me that you added everything at the same time?Usually is done step by step.
If the tank is empty I pour the water first(RO/DI) then put some heaters to bring the temp up to 76f, some power heads pumps,follow with the salt later.
Also if live sand is what you used? it needs to be acclimated to the tank temperature.Many folks don't know this and just open they bags and dump the sand right in!(remember is live sand right?)
I hope your are refering to live rock and not live corals?But also live rock should be place last not during the mixing time.
Please responde to the other members questions so they can also help you.
The water will clear and a day or two.
Good luck.VINA

caja

Originally posted by plique
we just started our tank. we added the salt , live sand and coral

did you mean you added saltwater, live sand and live rock?

if you added the water first then dumped the sand in of course you are going to have a murky mess. like the others said it will take time to clear. you can also run an HOB with some floss in it to catch the debris floating around.

Brucey

Hey guys, give em a break. Plique, where are you. We've done all we can to help, we're just waiting for you to answer some questions so we can be of assistance
Brucey

Crakeur

a break?

the post doesn't indicate a new tank, an old tank, anything other than I put water, rock, sand and salt into a tank and it's cloudy.

of course it is. put salt in a glass of water and it will be cloudy for a little while.

stupid is as stupid does.
besides, making light of the situation. poor plique is out the cost of the coral. least we could do is cheer him up.

Brucey

Hey Caja / Crakeur ....... my tongue was firmly in my cheek (Hope that translates the same in the US as it does in the UK)
Brucey

Status
Not open for further replies.