Milky water with perfect parameters! need help!

corsta007

Hi guys, my water has been fine up til recently. The water has now gone quite cloudy but i can still see the back of the aquarium. I have perfect parameters and my livestock are fine. It has a whiteish tinge to it. Should iadd carbon to my filteration, use crystal clear do a blackout? Please help!

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Bacteria bloom. What have you changed recently in your system?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
It might be spawning as well. Usually a bacterial bloom won't be milky looking

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
+1 on the bacteria bloom possibility.

Mysis is a good food choice and I would suggest rinsing it before feeding it to the fish. If you haven't been rinsing it before feeding then that could be feeding the bloom.

Water changes will help during this issue so do them often and cut back on the feeding a little. Also you can cut back on the lighting period as well.

It will pass, give it some time and starve the bloom the best you can.

What salt mix are you using and did it just happen as soon as you did the water change?

corsta007

Apparently these bilogical 'balls' can be added to clear up water cloudiness :D. Anyone got any experience with these?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
No need for bio balls. Are you sure it's not precipitation of alk? Can you test the levels?

corsta007

I have no way of testing the alkalinity specifically ay home. I will have to chexk tommorow. I doubt it would be that drastic though.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Upload it to a hosting site (photobucket etc) and then paste the img code here

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Post your photo to an image hosting site like photobucket then copy and paste the image link over here.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I keep a few HOB filters, left over from FW glory days. Those without biowheels, just floss/carbon pads, make for good emergency treatment of cloudy water, without making major changes to the system.

corsta007

Thanks guys, will do it asap! I have added activated carbon and floss media in my hang on the back filter/skimmer. Will this help?