might be in need of new lights.. Aquaticlife G12 issues....

Snelly40

hey guys, so the other day I asked about a ballast however it seems to be more than that... the porcelain lightbulb housing and wiring seems to be shot on one of the lights. The timing couldn't be worse due to two horrible months at work... for now I will just run 1 of the HID light but as this is a short term solution I guess I had questiong about LED lighting... there seem to be some that are just too weak for corals. Is there a certain PAR or output I should be looking for. If course most sites I have saved are aquaticlife and they seem to have a nice LED cree fixture but as I just dropped 1000 to them for lights htat lasted under two years I am a little skeptical... any fixture advice? thanks guys...

-Jason :mad::rollingey:rollingey:rollingey:banghead::banghead::banghead:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jason I'm very partial but with that being said.. the GHL Mitras has a stupendous success rate even in fully blown high-end SPS tanks. From shallow to deep. There is a little bit of a "sticker shock" but when you factor in performance and durability you're really coming out money ahead.

If you'd like more info don't hesitate to drop me a note. I'll help in any way I can.

Snelly40

thanks bigAL!! I appreciate it... sticker shock cant be too bad after what I shelled out for those aquaticlife's, im just gonna want a good investment ... I hope to be able to do this soon, im not used to having to stress like this about work but definitely soon... thanks buddy :)

Ratpack

I have two of the Reef Radiance fixtures on my tank and they are great. All my corals have really colored up nice and taken off growing. I currently only run the whites at 50% and the blues at about 80% so they still have power to go. Good thing is I only spent $300 for two fixtures to cover my 4 foot tank and that included shipping. Also Rick is great to work with and they have a 2 year warranty on them.

Snelly40

wow that is a great price, i'll look into these.. thanks everyone so far!!

my dad is an elecitrical engineer so he's gonna come take a look tonight and we'll be decide what we have to do soo...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Mike they are even better than that article now. We now have the 6200 here in North America which is even more geared towards the blue spectrum which is more desired here in NA. It's infinitely tweakable so you can get whatever color you like as well as adjust the intensity from zero to OMG :)

Here's a link to the same site as posted above but a more current review
http://reefbuilders.com/2013/05/15/mitras-6200-led-ghl-bluer-light-offering/

Yes it's a light in a different category than your average LED fixture.

Mike Johnson

I have one question. Can you slowly amp them up and down? You know, sunrise and sunset slowly. Lately I've been more concerned with my lights switching on and off in a flash.

Mike Johnson

Well, I'm reconsidering now that I see it does "east to west" and cloud cover and thunderstorms. I'd miss too much work watching the clouds go over and storming.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
haha wow that's an intense lighting schedule... now I wanna see a vid of that thunderstorm!!!!

This isn't my tank but it shows what the thunderstorm can look like. Keep in mind this isn't using the GHL Mitras but it's a similar technology (the Mitras is actually better).
[video=youtube_share;PMqujhdQ7zc]http://youtu.be/PMqujhdQ7zc[/video]

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here is a system with "SEVERAL" of them mounted over head. This just demonstrates the lightning effect

[video=youtube_share;kl9CIfxK3ws]http://youtu.be/kl9CIfxK3ws[/video]

Snelly40

^^^^^^ right!! i just showed them to my dad too who has been looking for new lights for his RSM34

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I just had a client of mine order a Reef Radiance fixture for his 90 gallon about 2 weeks ago. I can't wait to install them and they aren't even for my tank:)