Michael's Currently Rocky Reef Hoping to be a Coral Reef

michael_cb_125

Hello everyone!

Many of you know me, but there sure are a lot of new names here on RS! I have been sort of MIA lately, but all is still good. I currently only have one system of my own running at the moment and I am hoping to get it brightened up here in the very near future.

Here is a little info about myself and my current tank for those who do not know of me....

My name is Michael and I have been keeping reef aquariums for nine years now; damn I cannot believe it has been that long. I started with a 12 gallon AquaPod and moved through many different wonderful systems through the years. I have been very fortunate to have some wonderful specimens and I have finally gotten to a point where I am very happy with the tank and fish that I have.

System Stats:

Elos System 120. Rimless Crystal Tank (48x22x20)
Elos Custom White Stand
Elos Sump
ATB Custom White Cone Skimmer (way overkill!!!)
Eheim 1260 Returns.
I was running a custom Elos Ferrari White Painted T5 fixture, but sold it and swapped to a DIY LED "fixture". Since I was not keeping any corals, no need for the extra heat and light. The fixture that I am using consists of 2 24" Stunner Strips (white and Blue) and one Panorama Pro RGB 12" Strip. All in a Zebra Wood Canopy.

I am using Indopacific Black Sand and I have about 40 # of Southeast Asian Specialty Rock from PEA.
My only added livestock at the moment are a wonderful pair of Bandit Angelfish that I have had for right at three years now. I obtained both of them as tiny little babies under 2" long. Other life in the tank includes tons of sponges and tunicates, mussels, crabs and limpets.

The tank has been up and running for almost four years now.

Well here it is as of two weeks ago. I have since re-aquascaped and cleaned the tank up. I will take better pictures this evening.

IMG_2223.jpg

~Michael

michael_cb_125

I am looking to purchase some sort of higher intensity lighting in the very near future, and I hope to start adding some nice LPS and SPS. The tank is plenty stable for about what ever I decide to add.

~Michael

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Welcome back! Lots of good lighting options out there, seems like a new one every week!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Michael been missing you ! Great to see you posting again mate !

Tanks looking very pretty !

How all the family animals :)

michael_cb_125

Thanks everyone. I have been taking a break from the super high maintence tanks and such, but now I am ready to jump back in.
I am thinking that I am going to go with LEDs but I am not 100% sure. The only other option that I would consider would be T5s with Led supplementation.

I try to run my tank between 65 and 72 depending on the time of the year. The most I would be comfortable in the summer would be 75. So heat output is an issue.
For LEDs I have been considering the Maxwpect Razor,and for T5 I have been looking at ATI. I have owned both brands before, so I am familiar, except for the Razor.

Hey Glen, all of the animals are doing great!

~Michael

michael_cb_125

Good Morning East Coasters and such!

I wanted to let everyone know of another idea that I have floating around in my head....

I leds and have been looking into some of the multi-chip leds. I am not crazy about any of the factory made fixtures, but I could build one my self. I have a 36" Elos Aqua Planet hood in Audi Anthracite that has no workings inside. What if I used a combination of 20 or 50 watt multichip leds and 3watts leds to make a custom LED fixture. I think that it could be done for under $400, and would give me much more intensity than the razor, not the control but that I am not too worried about. Any suggestions.>>>>>

~Michael