Mesh V Felt Filter Socks ?

SPR

I’ve always used the Red Sea mesh 225 micron filter socks and am getting fed up of washing them, and since I can’t buy disposable ones from anywhere on earth I need to look at options.

And I don’t want to make them either before anyone suggests the great thread on this, as I prefer drinking beer and watching my tank than sewing! Lol

I’m thinking of changing to the standard felt filter socks and then putting them in the washing machine to clean them.

Anyone tried both mesh and felt and what are your thoughts on cleaning, performance etc ? What do you put into the washing machine if anything?

Last edited:

DaveK

When I was filter socks, I just run them through. I do not add anything else. Some people add bleach. This is ok, but I don't feel it's needed unless you need to sterilize the filter sock.

As for mesh verses felt, it all depends on how much you want the filter sock to take out. Mesh will not filrter as fine so more fine dirt gets removed by the skimmer. On the other hand, mash doesn't need to get cleaned as often.

On my own system, I'm currently not using filter socks at all, and just letting the skimmer deal with it. However, I'm not running an RSM system either. My skimmer is a lot more powerful that most of the ones you'll see on an all in one system.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Thanks Dave

I think i may have to just get some of the felt and try them with the washing machine. Sounds a lot less painful than hosing them down especially in the winter!

Sounds as though they will also pull more rubbish out as well as a lot still gets through into my sump were i also have chunks of filter floss as further filtration which i throw away and change every week.

Im also using a non stock skimmer being the NYOS Quantum 160 which is far superior to the C Skim stock. No comparison infact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cracker

There are DIY threads on making your own socks using felt from Micheal's or Angie's. Very inexpensive & disposable.

Pancho75

I have used both mesh and felt and can tell you mesh are so much better and easier to maintain. I am now running a RSM-500 and doing fine with the mesh ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StirCrayzy

Ive been using mesh for 3 yrs and even though i have some on hand, only tried felt a few times. Every time i have, they become full in 3- 4 days vs 7-10 days for mesh. I only use felt when im mucking things around and stirring up the sand.