Me again!

Hi all
I have started the cupramine today in my HT, removed the live rock, i have 60L volume of SW so worked out I needed 30 drops for 1st dose.
The Fish all started acting weird straight away, they all came to the spot where I put in the treatment and swam there together for a while, then the puffer laid down on the bottom, the clowns swam in circles and the damsel went for everyone, my poor baby box fish is really not looking good I'm not sure he's going to survive the treatment:waa:his skin is looking bad now and he has very cloudy eyes with skin peeling off and he's not eating! (not happy)
I am keeping a vigil incase as if he does i'll need to whip him out quickly before he nukes the rest.

OMG nobody told me this hobby would be this stressful!!!!!!:surrender:

Now i need to contend with massive water changes and trying to keep the correct dose in the tank

Wish me luck, any advise welcome............

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi Lisa, sorry to hear about your troubles...good luck during this difficult time.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
images

Hi Lisa,
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having.
I'm the wrong person to offer anyone advice as I'm a relative newbie myself.
I really hope you manage to get on top of your outbreak and come through the other side with a healthy tank.

Good Luck.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
30 drops is the correct dose (first). Keep in mind that the fish acting weird and not wanting to eat is perfectly normal. Treating with copper certainly comes with the risk of a fish not taking it well and possibly dying but it is a risk you assume.

As for water changes, you'll most likely be removing "full dose water" so you'll need to be mindful of how you do your water changes. 40l takes 40 drops to get to full strength so if you did 10l changes, you'd add ten drops, 20l, 20 drops....... This is very easy to do as long as you know how much water you're taking out. Keep a long and track it for 14 days once you add the 2nd dose (copper concentration will be at the appropriate range then). Once the 14 days pass, add carbon and keep WC schedule, it will slowly be removed.

Now, your next problem...... Your display tank still has ich! You don't want to add your clean fish back into ich water do you?

Thanks Peeps.

And no I definitely do not! I intend to keep them in QT tank for up to 9 weeks or so, then put them back if they are all clear.
just to double check on the dosing when WC, i thought it was 2 drops per 4 Litres, so if I was changing say 28L id need to add 14 drops to the new water. is this wrong? :dunno:

AAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP CHOPPER......

That was horrible and horrendously sad!!!

2whnlzc.jpg

I am thankful that he went, before I went to bed, hopefully he did not excrete any toxins( fingers crossed) update tomorrow.
I am off to cry now:waa::waa::waa:

Last edited:
Thank you both, just been looking at photos & videos of him when he was well, its hard this! you don't realise when you start that you have all these little lives in your hands, the responsibility is immense!!!
a lot of shops just sell anyone anything too, without finding out if you can look after them, its so wrong!

Well I did the best I could and I will do the same for my last 4, just hope they pull through.

The shop I bought Chopper from is run by a lovely old man, but at the time I didn't see, now if i pop in I can see that his fish are riddled with MI and stupid newbie in a rush me, didn't think id need a QT tank.... lesson learned from this day forth every fish I buy will be... sorry rant over , good night x x

BackEast

Lisa,
This passion sure comes with heart ache, but the joy you get along the way sure out way's it.
Best of luck going forward...
M-

Snid

Lisa,

So Sorry for the loss of Chopper. Hopefully newcomers to the hobby are seeing your heartache and learning from you. We can't thank you enough for posting your situation, because that is how others will learn. You are a great person for sharing your woes. We are all pulling for you and the rest of the fish!

Thank you ALL :hug1:
All is well in the tank this morning, phew!
next dose is tomorrow so I hope that they are strong enough to cope. Im undecided on if I should do 15 + 15 over 2 days to bring up level more gradually, just incase.
What do you think?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'd go with the full second dose. If you can get your hands on some live brine shrimp I find that really helps them to start eating during this time. Put some in a bit of tank water, add some selcon or other fat, let soak for 15 min, pour into a net to drain, then put in the tank.

Thanks, yes they get live brine shrimp most nights and frozen during day. had a nitrite spike, today so on 2nd WC!!!!!
did you give me the WC dosing advise? Ive been doing 2 drops Per 4L is that right? as I'm still on 1/2 dose till tomorrow?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
did you give me the WC dosing advise? Ive been doing 2 drops Per 4L is that right? as I'm still on 1/2 dose till tomorrow?

Yep. The half dose ratio is 1 drop per 2L. Once you get to the full dose strength then it goes to 1:1

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Don't feel too bad Lisa.

It's one huge learning curve is this saltwater reefing.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/ is a great source of information for newbies like us.
DianaKay put me onto their website and even though I'm in the UK, it's still invaluable for advice and tips.
I always research anything, whether it is livestock or equipment, to make sure it is compatible with my tank.
Good luck with the rest of your little guys.

Thank you both, just been looking at photos & videos of him when he was well, its hard this! you don't realise when you start that you have all these little lives in your hands, the responsibility is immense!!!
a lot of shops just sell anyone anything too, without finding out if you can look after them, its so wrong!

Well I did the best I could and I will do the same for my last 4, just hope they pull through.

The shop I bought Chopper from is run by a lovely old man, but at the time I didn't see, now if i pop in I can see that his fish are riddled with MI and stupid newbie in a rush me, didn't think id need a QT tank.... lesson learned from this day forth every fish I buy will be... sorry rant over , good night x x