Maxspect gyre and the max

Choff

Hey gang, who is planning on getting one of these bad boys? You might be surprised to know that I will probably get one. :D

Now the real question is where do you mount it and what do you do with the rear powerheads?

My initial thought is upper left side with the rear heads off or set to min. My concern with them off is the dead water in that back chamber. My concern with then on is will they disrupt the gyre to the point if making it ineffective?

Do I keep my mp40 on the opposite side? Again I think no.

What about the return line? Do I change my locline set up to minimize impact on the gyre?

Anyone getting one and thought about this stuff?

...stupid auto correct

newo11

Following along on this one. I am very interested to see what opinions are on this particularly in the RSM250!

LakeLivin

I saw the youtube video that BRS made about this pump and they look pretty cool. I will be interested to hear your comments once you have run one for awhile. I'm in no hurry to replace my MP40's but would consider doing so if their claim about being able to place corals near the pump without worrying about too much direct flow for most corals to survive.

Choff

My hope is to run just the riptide and at most a single mp 40 on the right. I'm guessing I'll need to run a small PH in the rear chamber to keep flow moving. If I can disable 4 or 5 pumps that will be incredible.

...stupid auto correct

final opinion ... you need 2 of them,,, there claim of reverse gyre by running in A-A mode does not create a freindly-current when running in reverse... the power needed to push down the depth of the tank to create a full reverse gyre would kick up too much sand....

need soon to be announced apex integration and another 300 bones.. for a second gyre....

[video=youtube;jA6R-vU_yHE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA6R-vU_yHE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Do you guys think this is too much for a c250 ???

running mp10 cycling between 0-45% on NTM modem,, mp40 runiing at 8% anti-sync,,, and Gyre at pulse at 40%...

[video=youtube;rin7LDxzCsg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rin7LDxzCsg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

LakeLivin

It sounds like a lot of pumps for a tank that size. Especially considering the gyre is touted as being able to push water pretty long distances. However, the video they made showing off the pump was in a tank with no obstructions like rock formations and a sand bed. Consequently, every tank is going to be a little different mostly dependent on your rock formation.

Obviously, I'm no expert by any means but I just try to get water movement throughout the tank with the least amount of power and pumps. There is a fine line between too much flow and not enough and it has been a bit of a struggle for me to achieve a balance. I'm running 2 MP40's at a maximum of 40% power (random settings and modes) along with the return pump (right side) and the circulation pump on the far left of my 500. For my tank that combination has worked pretty well. I don't use the two middle circulation pumps in my 500 for a couple reasons. One, they just generate too much heat and two, they just sand blast in one direction with little to no control. I think it is better to have pumps that are capable of varying speed and modes instead of ones that just blow the same speed in the same direction 24/7.

The bottom line is you will just have to use trial and error and figure out what combinations of pumps and power setting works best for your tank setup. Good luck and let us know what you finally end up with.