Maximum Short Term Water Temperature For Reef Tank?

SPR

i am based in the Uk with my newish Max S 650 and for once the temperature this summer is hotting up. This is my first aquarium if any kind.

I have heaters set for 25C as normal but the tank has been up to around 27.5C at the moment and over the next few days we are forecast to get high temperatures

Basically I don't really want to install a chiller unless I have to as I don't think it would be used much but I just wondered how tolerant is the marine life to temperature and can it cope to higher temperatures for a few days here and there when we get hot days? For example will bad things happen at say 30C or are we good for a short period?

This isn't a money issue at all it's just the tanks all set up, running nice and I don't really want to use the space for the chiller. If I have to then I will but just trying to establish if it's necessary in the UK for the odd day or week when the temperature goes up.

I have fish and corals mainly LPS/soft

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Big Pete

Hi SPR
Your corals will eventually bleach if the water temp were to continue in the 30c range, for the few days that it is hot in the UK i think you will be okay.
hopefully Dave K will chime in and offer you some expert advice on this, failing that there is loads of information on the internet that may help you

cheers

Big Pete

Reactions: SPR

DaveK

The temp ranges you have at the moment should not be an issue. If your not already doing it, you can remove any tank covers, and use a small fan to increase evaporative cooling.

Depending on the type of lighting you are using, cutting the light back may help. If your running a lot of circulation pumps inside the tank, you can turn some of them off to help keep the tank down.

You are correct, you don't want to add a chiller unless there is no other way.

SPR

The temp ranges you have at the moment should not be an issue. If your not already doing it, you can remove any tank covers, and use a small fan to increase evaporative cooling.

Depending on the type of lighting you are using, cutting the light back may help. If your running a lot of circulation pumps inside the tank, you can turn some of them off to help keep the tank down.

You are correct, you don't want to add a chiller unless there is no other way.

Thanks Dave

I am running the new Hydra 26 x 4 LED's and the tank has the standard 4x circulations pumps. Its the 650.

It is open topped so maybe ill try the fan idea to increase cooling that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr_tap_water

I have three Vegas on an open top a and fan deafly does the trick like said above, and does course a faster amount of Evaporation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgilbert2

Similar to above, just setup a pedestal fan to blow across the surface of the water, evaporation is usually good enough for the UK.

SPR

That's very interesting read. I think I will need to read a few times over as very detailed but basically I think unless the temperature goes way about 33 for a long time the tank will be ok I think that's what it says from a quick read anyway. Its forecast 1 very hot day today at around 31C in Nottinghamshire were I am and then dropping back to low 20s so hopefully back to normal