Max C-130 Skimmer Help

Jeff Lazo

I am having issues with my stock skimmer. I have the exit gate set to its proper lowest point, air restrictor on the venturi hose and I just can't seem to get it to not excessively overflow into the collection cup. The only way that I have been successful is to turn the pump physically upside down, Inlet facing up. Then I can run without the air restrictor and make adjustments with the gate. I get great skim-mate with it configured this way.

I have checked the hose for kinks, trimmed it slightly shorter to minimize and chance as well.

Is there any issue with running the pump in this configuration?

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Jeff, Ideally the white air control valve should only be used for the break in period of the skimmer, check out the following.

1. Ensure the aquarium is running at the optimum water level and not above.
2. Using a plastic jug and storage bucket remove enough water to reduce the run level by 1cm below optimum.
3. Ensure the skim adjuster on the protein skimmer is set at its lowest position.
4. Remove the white air control valve fully.
5. At this point the skimmer may start to over skim filling the collection cup, allow the collection cup to fill 2 to 4 times before the skimmer settles, discard any of the water collected in the collection cup during this 2 to 4 fill time, DO NOT RETURN IT TO THE AQUARIUM.
6. The skimmer should now start to skim normally, in removing the air control valve you have increased the amount of air and reduced the amount of water in the skimmer body allowing a bigger expansion area in the neck of the skimmer body below the skimmer cup, this allows the skimmer to breath and increases the volume within the skimmer body for skimate to form.
7. You can now slowly return any removed water to the aquarium and top up with new salted water as necessary.
8. If after this process you continue to experience over skimming it is likely the aquarium has a very high organic content that is effecting the surface tension of the seawater. There can be many reasons for this including over feeding, the types of foods and additives used.
9. Please contact Red Sea Technical support directly via the website http://www.redseafish.com/contact-us/
10. Once the skimmer has settled and is performing without over skimming you can then use the skim adjuster to raise the level of air and water in the skimmer to produce a wet or dry skimate.

Adrienne

I have been running my C-250 for just under five months and still have the white air control valve in. I have managed twice in this time to remove it, only to find two days later that the cup doth overflow. I think I might follow the instructions RedSeaKev has given you and see if this helps me.

Rooprect

Jeff:
I also had issues early on and Kev's advice rings true. After dumping 3-4 full collection cups of over-skim the unit should settle in. I'm sure the valve is useful in certain cases but in my experience it just complicates things. Ditch the valve.
Roop

Excelsior856

The valve closed would cut off air to the skimmer thus negating it's purpose. I used the valve for two weeks or so, starting with the valve mostly closed and opening it slightly every couple days. Then I pulled it off and followed the instructions above - been running great ever since.

However, I have zero nitrates with a very light bio load currently...

Jetmart

The valve closed would cut off air to the skimmer thus negating it's purpose. I used the valve for two weeks or so, starting with the valve mostly closed and opening it slightly every couple days. Then I pulled it off and followed the instructions above - been running great ever since.

However, I have zero nitrates with a very light bio load currently...

Makes sense. I was not thinking about it correctly. When it is removed it is wide open and getting full air.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Folks, the Air control valve plays a large part in determining the Air to Water ratio within the skimmer chamber, you have a set volume within the body of the skimmer which can be either Air or Water and it is this ratio that is critical, control valve in use equals more water in the skimmer chamber, no air control valve used equals more Air and less water. For optimum operation we recommend running without the Air control valve.

We cover some of these points in our instructions as follows.

New Skimmers or Set-ups
Skimmers only produce foam if the water contains the proteins that bind to the surface of the air bubbles and give the bubbles the structural rigidity they need to ascend the neck of the skimmer and settle in the collection cup. In a new aquarium set-up the bio-load is low and the amount of proteins is negligible.

New skimmers sometimes need a short break-in period of a few days before they begin to function efficiently. Over-skimming is common while harmless chemical residues that affect the surface tension of the water are neutralized.

Over-Skimming

An uncontrollable flow of aerated water into the collection cup. In the event of over-skimming the excess water will flow back into the sump from the overflow slot located at the top of the collection cup. To control the over-skimming make sure that the Skim Adjuster is set in its lowest position, add the air valve to the top of the air inlet pipe and
reduce the air intake until the foam stabilizes. Continue controlling the skimmer by adjusting the air intake. When the skimmer is stable with the air valve fully open, remove the valve and control the skimmer with the Skim Adjuster.

I hope this helps folks, feel free to contact me if you need further assistance.

Jetmart

Folks, the Air control valve plays a large part in determining the Air to Water ratio within the skimmer chamber, you have a set volume within the body of the skimmer which can be either Air or Water and it is this ratio that is critical, control valve in use equals more water in the skimmer chamber, no air control valve used equals more Air and less water. For optimum operation we recommend running without the Air control valve.

We cover some of these points in our instructions as follows.

New Skimmers or Set-ups
Skimmers only produce foam if the water contains the proteins that bind to the surface of the air bubbles and give the bubbles the structural rigidity they need to ascend the neck of the skimmer and settle in the collection cup. In a new aquarium set-up the bio-load is low and the amount of proteins is negligible.

New skimmers sometimes need a short break-in period of a few days before they begin to function efficiently. Over-skimming is common while harmless chemical residues that affect the surface tension of the water are neutralized.

Over-Skimming

An uncontrollable flow of aerated water into the collection cup. In the event of over-skimming the excess water will flow back into the sump from the overflow slot located at the top of the collection cup. To control the over-skimming make sure that the Skim Adjuster is set in its lowest position, add the air valve to the top of the air inlet pipe and
reduce the air intake until the foam stabilizes. Continue controlling the skimmer by adjusting the air intake. When the skimmer is stable with the air valve fully open, remove the valve and control the skimmer with the Skim Adjuster.

I hope this helps folks, feel free to contact me if you need further assistance.

Can you give me advice based on the pictures below? Tank 7 weeks old with LR, Live sand, 4 fish, CUC,. I run the cup so the tips are just at the surface and have been playing with the height of the adjustable skimmer tube and air valve. I run my water pretty high on recommendation of the forum. I find the amount of foam is dependant on water level and air valve position.
How does the amount of foam look? My problem is I am not sure what I am looking for. Tank may be too new as well.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
your foam looks fine from what I can see

be sure to clean the inside of the neck on the skimmer tube weekly, when I do, I get a couple tablespoons of "sludge" being removed