Martin's RSM C-130

Aearin

Began the Red Sea Reef programme today, day 1 so not a lot of activity to report.

Been having a few issues with SG readings etc. First time out with refractometer I was getting 1.022 and thought it might have been because of the ambient temp of the tool, so nipped to LFS with minutes to spare on Sunday before they closed and bought a hydrometer to be safe. Didn't realise that needs soaking in saltwater for 48 hours before use so tried tonight, and got a reading of about 1.027. Out came refractor enter again and it was 1.024, bang on what the LFS had sold me.

What would you guys suggest is best method? I'm probably just being thick as my head seems permanently stuck in work mode at present. Is 1.024 a bit on the low side too?

Cheers
Martin

1.024 is fine mate, i usually keep mine at 1.026. Anywhere around that's idea

It's a good idea to calibrate the refractometer often before use, some people do it every time to get accurate results

melvis

Cheers Aearin, that's good to know. Although, been stressing about it as I'm not convinced I'm using the refractometer right and the initial readings freaked me a bit (1.030). Think I'll try and pop into LFS this week and get them to take a look for me, test on their water and see what we get. It's the whole refractometer needing to be at a specific temp to ensure correct set up that vexed me lol. Think I need to get some DI water to calibrate it as assuming I can't use RO for that bit, or can I?

Will leave the system running as it is for now, i.e. lights on for 10 hours a day and skimmer running (as per Red Sea's instructions) until I'm 100% sure I've measuring salinity right, as I don't want to screw up the RS reef mature programme. That said, have a feeling that it's probably going through it's cycle anyway so unsure whether to run this or just start testing and see what readings I'm getting. Would appreciate any pointers as to best way of pursuing it now.

Cheers
Martin

melvis

Cheers Glenn, checked out mine (it's the Red Sea one) and it's ATC. Will look to get some calibration fluid too.

Decided to take the Red Sea Reef Mature Programme back to the store, just didn't see myself starting that, especially when I thought it's probably already started going through its cycle naturally. So out came the test kits today and here are the results...

Temp - 28c (82f) - higher than normal, but the house is a bit warmer today and the hood fans aren't on.
SG - 1.020 (35ppt) - seems a lot lower than the 1.024 reading I had the other day, got some checking to do.
Ammonia - 0.2
Nitrite - 0-0.05
Nitrate - 5
Phosphate - 0
PH - 8.2
Alkalinity - 5dkh

Will be doing some more tests on the weekend, probably Sunday, and see where I'm at then. Anyone reckon I should be chucking in a deli shrimp anytime soon?

Here's a shot from earlier this morning;
IMG_5273_zps8165db24.jpg

Cyano on the sand?
IMG_5276_zpscff926cd.jpg

A single zoa? Not sure what the little flowers are on the right hand side though;
IMG_5277_zps1c36113f.jpg

Loads of funky red stuff, leafy and not lol;
IMG_5278_zps16dcde60.jpg

Still hunting the elusive other crab, although the missus briefly saw it last night so that allayed fears he was trapped somewhere after the aquascaping.

Cheers
Martin

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Anyone reckon I should be chucking in a deli shrimp anytime soon?

this is exactly what I would do... and mush him up a bit, to speed up his decay & get the ammonia up even more... more than one way to cycle a tank, but this method is proven over time & has worked well for many

Joeys Tank

The little "flowers" to the right of your zoa looks like xenias.

I wouldn't worry about the temp (almost the average ocean reef temp). I ran mine slightly higher than yours during my cycle to help bacterial growth. I see no problem with tossing in half of a deli shrimp. Since you mention hunting crabs, I would take a short glass, place the shrimp inside and set it leaning up against a rock. This way your shrimp can provide an ammonia source and also acts as crab bait.

The orangish-brown algae on your sand looks more like diatoms (very common during tank cycle). They will clear up on their own once silicates are consumed. I tend to scrape mine off of the glass but leave the rest.

melvis

Cheers guys for the responses. Do I need to be running tests on anything else at this point?

Looks like I'll be getting the glass out and tossing in a deli shrimp again, hopefully this time I kill two birds with one stone lol.

Ah diatoms, I think that's what I actually meant. Been having to remind the missus that this is part of a phase and the worst is yet to come, but then it'll be nice and pretty. Might have to give the glass a little clean later to keep her sweet... ;-)

Joeys Tank

As far as tests go, I would only focus on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates (salinity too to since your SG of 1.020 looks low-better to figure this one out now before you start stocking).

Once ammonia goes to zero, you can stop testing for it. Same for nitrites.

melvis

Thanks mate. It's this bloody salinity thing that's causing me the biggest pain in the arse at the moment. Struggled with initial readings the other day (over 1.030) and now it seems really low. Must be doing something obvious wrong because I can't see how it can swing that much. Won't be doing any stocking for a good month yet as I want to get all the maintenance tasks bang on. Might be a bit excessive, but I don't want to rush anything - I've been told that quite a bit you see....lol

Gotta finally install the Tunze ATO too this weekend, once other 'chores' are done.

melvis

Didn't get around to fitting the ATO, the pump didn't fit into the container I'd purchased so back to the drawing board on that one. Did manage to get some red LEDs to accompany the blues I'd fitted previously and boy is night life rife lol, it seems I have a lot more little snails than I thought. Most seem to converge and the big green lump on the top left.

IMG_0669_zpse339586d.jpg

Have to admit, I've neglected it slightly over the past 3/4 days due to serious work pressures but have concentrated on the main three tests tonight and finally got the salinity readings I've been hoping for. Not out the woods on this one and need to be 100% happy before I'm convinced I've got it nailed.

Temp - 27c
SG - 1.024
Ammonia - 0.4
Nitrite - 0.05
Nitrate - 2

Deli shrimp just gone in too. Tank is starting to look pretty ugly so things are progressing, albeit very slowly lol. Also changed the lighting sequence, running it for about 6 hours a day now.

melvis

Will work on that next Mike, thanks. Have been thinking about scraping the shop brought saltwater going forward, and mixing myself. Looks like another trip to the LFS for more goodies is in order. Might have to pop into a shoe shop first this time, keep the missus happy and all that ;-)

Readings today are:

Salinity - 1.024
Ammonia - 0.4
Nitrate - 0
Nitrate - 0

Cheers

melvis

Tried to identify on chucksaddiction.com but best I can come up with is a different colour variation of a stomatella snail....?

AC5027D3-66AE-47F2-A5A5-0DD696C6F39C_zpsyzvvkniu.jpg

melvis

Thanks guys. I did see those on chucks addiction but me and the missus weren't 100% convinced. Still got a lot of learning to do...lol

melvis

Hi all

Anyone know the best place to install the Tunze ATO in the RSMc130? I read somewhere about back right (if you're looking at aquarium) above the pump and filter foam, but it appears to me that there isn't enough space to locate the magnetic holder due to the hood bracket. Possibly could fit behind the media rack...

Any advice most welcome.

Cheers

melvis

Tank looking pretty grimly earlier but with the additional 5kg of LR added I was waiting on the LFS curing. Aquascaping not sorted yet as the missus was ill so had to limit wasting a whole Sunday fiddling with the tank in order to keep tabs on the missus and the boy lol.

ADC2AF50-284E-473D-B7BB-DF8BF67335C1_zpsejc1jgzn.jpg

As for the ATO, opted for just behind the media rack in the end, accepting the fact that it will need moving when changing the media periodically;

4F243866-9CF7-422E-9DB2-FF668B3132F9_zpsw06pxwgl.jpg

The reservoir and control unit;

B9812C0F-B8F5-4F8F-A810-470DD2E15260_zps3s3raxae.jpg

Still got the wires to tidy up and need to think about a timer for the LEDs. Readings are showing 0 for both ammonia and nitrite and nitrate is up slightly, but will be keeping tabs on it over next few days. The prawn I put in doesn't seem to have caused any movement on the ammonia and the LFS seems to think it's probably cycled given the cured LR. Any thoughts guys?

Last pic showing the quick clean up I gave it whilst everyone else took a nap this afternoon lol.

DC211F91-3F97-4818-A897-4772FDB49326_zps5vieydkv.jpg

Cheers

Joeys Tank

Interesting that the ammonia hasn't started up. I say it is safe to add your clean up crew and let them feast upon the diatoms. I would avoid starfish at this time until I was certain the tank had stabilized.