Martin's RSM C-130

melvis

Been a few weeks since I've updated but my purple SPS frag seems to be recovering so I'm chuffed with that and my Watchman Goby is out and about too.

Water chemistry still seems to be my biggest challenge though. Salinity levels have stabilised when testing earlier it looks like Alk (6dkh), Calc (350) and Mag (1200) are all over the place again. Nitrates were a tad high at 10, despite a 15% WC yesterday so I'll do another one when off work later in the week in order to bring these down a tad more.

This is obviously the reason some my corals aren't that happy, my Duncan has been semi closed for a couple of weeks; my Frogspawn has lost its third branch and now my Hammer is starting to recede.

My Pulsing Xenia, Fire Soft Coral, White Polyp Finger and Zoas seem to be doing really well though.

With all this in mind, I finally bought a TMC Easi Dose 3 so I can get these levels more in sink and prevent any more losses. Will put up a new pic later, but still having difficulties with photos and getting the colours right lol.

melvis

Need to change my CPE and Purigen in about two weeks and wondered if it was best to do this separately rather than both at the same time...would welcome any opinions...cheers.

melvis

Cheers Glenn, best get some ordered so I've got it ready to swap out in about 2 weeks.

My new TMC Easi Dose 3, shelf and dosing containers have arrived. As soon as time allows, I'll rig these up to a bucket and test them out before running on the DT - just to make sure I don't dump a load of alk in.

vixell

Hi Martin just read your thread from start to finish. Been battling different types of algae for quite some time now and I was this close to closing up shop. Then one of my friends suggested that I get a Lawnmower Blenny since they're voracious little buggers. Got one and I've never looked back. Seriously you should try getting one since it can eat all types of algae (based on my experience anyways)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
@vixell

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

melvis

Been a few weeks since I've posted as I've been laying low trying to sort the usual tank problems out and balancing a challenging work/life balance lol. A mixed bag of a month tbh;

The good:
  • Hammer seems to have stopped retracting on one side of the wall.
  • White Polyp Finger is growing well, as is my random purple stylo SPS.
  • After losing 3 branches of the Frogspawn, I decided to snap the other two good ones off and move to different locations. You can see one in the middle of the side view below, the other is just hidden off to the right and behind the Xenia - which is also doing well. Some rogue bits have been spotted making their way around the tank and have been swiftly removed before they've taken root.
The bad:
  • Watchman Goby seems to have lost an eye, must have caught it on the LR when he's darting for cover.
  • My wonderful Tuxedo Urchin died earlier this week and I have to say, I'm gutted. He was a character and MY HERO when it came to ridding the LR of the carpet of red turf algae.
  • Blushing Finger coral seems to be melting away.
  • Parameters are still a work in progress and I haven't had time to rig the dosing pumps up as yet.
  • New CUC needed but I won't introduce until params a bit more stable.
The ugly:
  • Cyano is back!
Some pics though...

My Trumpet looks to be nearing splitting...on both stalks!
BBC29AC0-D28A-4BAC-9F6B-787F2CE78BD4_zpswmp4qumb.jpg

My Fire Soft coral pretty much disappears at times and then bang, looks like this!
36BD6C48-4D43-4FA5-BF9B-762EA49AA7C0_zpsziroufi9.jpg

Quick side view, FTS to follow.
9538EEFD-3EBC-48C1-8E3C-A9BAECFD7A69_zpsuhpqhott.jpg

Had a moment during the WC this morning and debated closing it down and restarting in a couple of months (for various reasons). LFS said they'd hold fish and any corals I didn't want to lose etc but then convinced me to persevere with some big WC's and get the dosing pumps up and running to help with params - therefore preventing any more coral loss and promoting a much more harmonious environment.

Still working on the lighting, as I'm hoping to better the colours I'm getting. The 70's were great for brown and beige but this is 2016 lol! Anyway...until next time. Happy reefing folks.

melvis

Big water change done on Sunday and param's seem to be a bit better (Mag 1380, Calc 480, Nitrate 6-8). Still got low Alk at 7dkh, so working again on getting that up. No time to test and rig up the dosing pump as yet.

New CUC eyed at LFS today and if Alk up nicely by Sunday, I'll be picking up a new Tux, Cleaner Shrimp and array of snails.

Need something to turn the sand over as I've got build up in places (especially under the LR in the middle) and thinking of either a conch or possibly a starfish. Any other recommendations?

Think I'm going to need to frag the White Polyp Finger soon, and see if my LFS wants to offer some credit on it.

Cheers
Martin

melvis

Hi all

Been a while since I've posted as life has been major hectic. Usual dramas maintaining decent Alk and Mag levels and a massive outbreak of cyano have been challenging but none more so than the past few days.

I returned home from a holiday a couple of days ago (where I also got married right in the middle :yup:) only to find that my StevesLEDs had...well, the only way I can describe it is...blown up! The PSU and Typhoon all seem to be working ok but there's no output at all on the LEDs. There is a load of dust/smoke residue (?) on the clear plastic cover right by the fan used to cool the LEDS.

My Toadstool Mushroom, White Polyp Finger and Golden Table seem to have suffered the worst, with my Fox Coral following closely behind. Others seem to have closed up but I darted out to my LFS and managed to get hold of some LEDs to use as a temporary fixture until I can sort the main ones. I've emailed Jeff @StevesLEDs and hope they can help. I'm hoping the crappy ones I've just rigged up will help...fingers crossed!

My friend who was looking after things didn't realise they had blown, and simply thought I'd had them on a timer so didn't ring me in a panic. The top off was also playing up and not pumping through but I've sorted that.

My MP10 decided to pack up 3 days before I left on holiday so I've got to sort that as well, although the LEDs are my main priority right now.

If there is a plus side, that major cyano outbreak has cleared up a treat and I can see my sand again...although I can also see the detritus more now - my god I need a new CUC and MP10.

Happy days...or is that expensive ones? ;)

melvis

Another long period without posting, life just seems to be crazy at the mo. Soon to be moving home and that brings numerous challenges, with the most important being...'how do I move my aquarium?' lol. Been getting some quotes to move and all quite reasonable and should reduce the stress. One company temperature controls everything during the move as well as cleans/services, aquascapes once in the new place, and sorts all cables etc.

My trusted LFS has closed down so I'm currently getting water from another, until I move and start mixing my own. Things in the tank seem to be all over the place and my Cyano is back, with a vengeance.

My Toadstool mushroom has shrivelled up quite a bit, and detached from the LR it was on. Not holding out much hope for that tbh. My Fox Coral has receded quite a lot and my Blushing Finger has melted away. Sadly, I lost another Tux and most of a new CUC - despite a decent acclimation.

I haven't tested for a couple of weeks (which I'm not pleased about) so have cleared some time tomorrow to get this sorted and know where I stand. I have a feeling I'm way down on Alk, Calc and Mag - as always.

On the plus side, my Steve's LEDs are sorted, Jeff was a great help and it turned out to be a loose wire in the hood that was easily fixed once I'd eliminated all the other more serious things. MP10 is also fixed, that was just a dodgy adaptor that took 2 mins to swap out for another one. Also ordered a new ATO pump, so that's all back up and running.

Hoping and praying that I can dedicate some time to get things back on track. Like @Pat24601, having a 3 year old doesn't allow much time for reefing. lol.

Happy reefing all!

Pat24601

Another long period without posting, life just seems to be crazy at the mo. Soon to be moving home and that brings numerous challenges, with the most important being...'how do I move my aquarium?' lol. Been getting some quotes to move and all quite reasonable and should reduce the stress. One company temperature controls everything during the move as well as cleans/services, aquascapes once in the new place, and sorts all cables etc.

My trusted LFS has closed down so I'm currently getting water from another, until I move and start mixing my own. Things in the tank seem to be all over the place and my Cyano is back, with a vengeance.

My Toadstool mushroom has shrivelled up quite a bit, and detached from the LR it was on. Not holding out much hope for that tbh. My Fox Coral has receded quite a lot and my Blushing Finger has melted away. Sadly, I lost another Tux and most of a new CUC - despite a decent acclimation.

I haven't tested for a couple of weeks (which I'm not pleased about) so have cleared some time tomorrow to get this sorted and know where I stand. I have a feeling I'm way down on Alk, Calc and Mag - as always.

On the plus side, my Steve's LEDs are sorted, Jeff was a great help and it turned out to be a loose wire in the hood that was easily fixed once I'd eliminated all the other more serious things. MP10 is also fixed, that was just a dodgy adaptor that took 2 mins to swap out for another one. Also ordered a new ATO pump, so that's all back up and running.

Hoping and praying that I can dedicate some time to get things back on track. Like @Pat24601, having a 3 year old doesn't allow much time for reefing. lol.

Happy reefing all!

It really is tough and you've been through more rough things than me. Still feel bad about your LEDs. Was way harder than it should have been.

My kids are really into my tank now. So, that makes it fun. But, I really have very little time for it, as you say.

Glad to see you could get someone to move it. Moving fish is up there on the nightmare list.

melvis

Been a while since I tested my parameters, in fact, been a while since I done a lot of tank related things, other than water changes and cleaning the skimmer.

Had some spare time yesterday and managed to do a decent water change, changed the CPE, Purigen and added some Phosnet too. Gave everything a decent clean and syphoned out a load of cyano and noticed the dreaded Red Turf Algae appears to be back. I need to get parameters stable and then introduce a new Tux to mow it all.

Talking of parameters, they are a bit all over the place:
  • Salinity: 1.022
  • Mag: 1350
  • Alk: 5
  • Cal: 410
  • Nitrate: 5
  • Phos: 0 (yeah right...cyano tells me otherwise)
  • PH: 8-8.2
Will start mixing my own water from now on, as I think the new LFS's is running lower levels than the old place. Another LFS said "just get the RO water, chuck in the salt and swish around with your hand for a bit then add to the tank". Obviously, I paid no attention to this (in fact, I only go in there to look at the fish/inverts/corals etc) and set about looking online for the best way to do this. I'll be ordering a pump and possibly a heater soon. Hopefully will use the pump to assist in water changes too.

melvis

Think I may have figured out why I'm continually having problems with algae and was looking for a second opinion please?

Just checked the TDS of my tap water (310ppm) and my RO water (015 ppm) and then it dawned on me, it's not got the DI part.

:duh:

This bit reduces that final amount if I'm right (?), so could I have been introducing nutrients into my tank all this time?

:ashamed:

If so, it's back to Reefkeeping 101 I go!!!! lol

melvis

A few shots...things slowly getting back on track.

My Duncan - was only one head when I got it, now about 5:
F77328F2-8E6E-47CD-9E39-07B1D8A4D8B7_zpsvm09vfqo.jpg

My Purple SPS - growing well compared to second pic on post #427:
2CE85F58-AD45-497D-9959-4F6F9F0DB7AE_zpsi1emcgif.jpg

A FTS - has changed a lot, less corals due to losses but undergoing a revival:
AC91CCDF-513E-416B-8AE4-4B710AFF2748_zps7ngquaxp.jpg

melvis

Quick update:

My portable mini RO system (used for drinking water) has an output TDS of 015 compared to the 5ltrs of RO is just got from my LFS, that's coming out at 049! Seems like I need to be getting myself a proper RODI unit and just start making my own saltwater, I've got the pump and heater now. Incidentally, pumping the water back in was a breeze. Will not miss lugging 25ltr water containers up to refill lol.

Levels today were around the same as before, although Alk was down again to 4dkh. Might explain some unhappy corals, increase in RTA and odd spot or two of cyano. Ideally I need to get my dosing pumps rigged up, but considering I hope to be moving house soon, have decided against this and have set some reminders on my phone to manually dose in the meantime.

Struggling to give the tank the time it needs tbh, and that sucks!

Plus sides though; the trumpet is now about to split into 7 heads (was two when I got it), my green mushroom is almost double the size now and my blue mushrooms are popping up all over, SPS is growing well too.