maroon clownfish

tank stalker

so I was thinking about getting a pair of yellow striped maroon clownfish to try to host in the my carpet Anatomy the what I was wondering to know would it be okay to start then in my 30 gallon tank and then eventually put them in my larger tank.. would that be okay in a 30 gallon tank for a little bit

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Snid

So you have a Pink Shrimp Goby named Princess, are planning on a Mandarin... What else besides the Maroon Clownfish do you hope to have? The Maroon Clownfish is the most territorial of all the Clownfish according to Live Aquaria. You might have problems of with them picking on your other candidates for tank mates.

tank stalker

as far as in the 30 gallon aquarium that'll be all...... I'm pretty sure that three fish in a 30 gallon aquarium is more than enough

tank stalker

I'm going to forget getting a Mandarin for the 30 gallon and when the wife gets her 75 gallon going that's where the Mandarin will go

DaveK

I'm not a big fan of maroon clowns. As pointed out, they are the most territorial, and aggressive of all clowns. Unless that's all you ever want in the tank, I highly recommend you choose one of the other species. They often don't play will with others.

Now if you were talking about a large FOWLR tank and were keeping other big nasty fish, then the maroons might be ideal. In the size tanks your looking at, you'll do much better with something else.

fishmaniac75

I have a bonded pair of chocolate clowns and they are great together. Another thing, I would be careful with a carpet anemone hosting...I have read stories on other forums about carpet anemones eating fish. I am sure they were talking about a very big anemone, but be careful anyway

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Good advice to avoid future aggressive behavior & make a different species choice. ;)
The yellow striped maroon clown is a beautiful fish but "beauty in only skin deep" comes to mind when you research that happens in their mature years if the tank isn't over 100 gallons.

Mike Johnson

DaveK read my mind. I have a ten year old Maroon Clown that I'm stuck with for life. You'll be very limited in tank mates for it. Plus, take into consideration when it gets big you will have to watch out for it too. It will take a chunk out of you, too; like ours did to my wife.

Oxylebius

Yeah, Mike is right, clowns (and not just the maroons) also can be aggressive towards you and go after your hands in the tank. There is a thread about it here on this forum if you want to check it out - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/indepth-topics-disscussion/79166-when-clowns-attack.html. Now that doesn't mean all clowns will be mean, especially when they are juveniles, mostly happens when they get older....if anything the thread has some funny stories in it.....